Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: standard situaton poll, without a poll.

I think its just more likely that you're 50/50 with somebody if you have 99 instead of 1010. I mean I guess I would sometimes push 99 but with 9 left somebody's startin to get antsy and gonna call you with overcards. The higher your pair the better chance you have them owned. I also am not all that stoked about 150 in blinds here. wait til they get up to 200 and youre in the sb or button and just push with without looking and i think i like that idea better. However, if i'm down around 800 chips or something here I would probably push any of these pairs probably from any position. With over 1000 though and the blinds this low I think it might be slightly +ev but I think you could wait and find a better spot.

I guess everything I've said is mostly speaking of the 55s as thats where I have the most experience. In the 800 chip games if I had 1100 chips I would proabbly be more prone to pass here as that makes everybody else that much more desperate and they would probably have lower calling standards to boot.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its just more likely that you're 50/50 with somebody if you have 99 instead of 1010.

[/ QUOTE ]

And when they push you are getting 2:1 on your flip.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:35 PM

I don't dislike this idea, but I tend to not limp for 100 very often. maybe thats just me.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:36 PM

I'm saying fold though. If I made a 2.5-3.5 bb raise I would call a push without thinking about it.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Still 9 handed, I'm making a standard raise, hoping to A.) induce action. I would love to see 2 or 3 pushes behind me so I can dump and watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your "standard raise" here, 300? So you're saying that after betting more than 25% of your stack, you'd be happy to be pushed out of the hand, so you could sit back and watch the showdown? On the bubble, maybe, but we're 9 handed here.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Still 9 handed, I'm making a standard raise, hoping to A.) induce action. I would love to see 2 or 3 pushes behind me so I can dump and watch.

[/ QUOTE ]
This makes no sense. Why would you want this?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, it's rare that you will have 9 players with no short stack left at 50/100. This table has got to be very tight. If that's the case there is a good chance that you will simply steal the blinds with a raise with any 2. Now have you ever noticed that it seems like it only takes one action to cause a table to turn 180 degrees. If this is the action that causes it, I'll give up the 300 chips to get it started. So many times I've seen where at about this point, some MP player raises and 4 people will reraise and get themselves all in. And it seems like one or two hands later your sitting at the bubble. I'm not playing 88,99, or TT against multiple all-ins, but I wouldn't cry if the next guy to act pushed and 2 or 3 called his push. I'd get out of the way and watch. If 2 or 3 flat called and BB pushed, I'd be sandwiched, and would lay it down. But if he pushed and it was folded back to me, I'd take the coin toss. Did I make sense?

Later,
Rick
Old 05-19-2005, 01:47 PM

Push, probably play AQ AK the same way.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:05 PM

To answer your question with a question, how about this?

9 handed, 50/100
roughly even stacks, 1000 chip game
3 or 4 folds
MP pushes
folds to you on the button

1. What range do you put villian on?

2. What's your range to call?

To get the discussion going, here're my thoughts for no. 1: 99-QQ, AQs+, AQo+. If villian has AA or KK at MP, I think it's 50% he pushes, 50% he raises, so I'd include those hands in the pushing range, but underweight their probability.

The Shadow
Old 05-19-2005, 02:10 PM

hoo hah, this is intersting stuff, unfortunately, although this question is interesting and worthwhile, it is not the question i meant to post!!!

same question, blinds are 25/50 was the actual question that i had been discussing with a friend. may be considered a less interesting question than the first one, but personally, eh, maybe not. who knows.

for my input on the 50/100 case, with even stacks, depending on the tightness of the players behind me, and all that jazz, i'll either raise to all in or 250ish. much more likely all in. with the uneven stacks, i'd probably do the same thing, figuring that the short stacks behind me will come along with anything they would have reraised a small raise with.

citanul, who apologizes for the mixup.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:13 PM

lol...I probably standard raise TT-99 and limp 88. This one seems more like a personal preference/depends on the table.