Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 12-12-2005, 11:30 AM

Default Being a donkey from time to time

I am usually a pretty solid player and over the weekend I played in a home tounament. 25 dollar buy in, one rebuy for full amount, and 10 dollar add-on after rebuys are over. I played the rock the entire tourney. Only got my money in with the best of it. Before getting heads up, I probably only played maybe six hands and all of them were monster pots. Anyway, enough background...heads up is going well for me as I have the chip lead and I am forcing my opponent to a decision for all his chips almost every hand. Finally, I get AcKc on the small blind. I just call, hoping to get him to through his remaining chips in. He just checks. Flop comes 6h jc 2s. He puts all his money in the pot About 4000 in chips to my overwhelming 25000 plus. I immediately call (no idea why, brain fart I guess) He flips Qh 6d. The turn is a Ks. The river is a meaningless 2c. He gets pissed as I just busted him by being a donkey. Was this poor play on my part like he said? Or was I correct to call with my two overs to the board and hope to get lucky for the win?
Old 12-12-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Being a donkey from time to time

Well, you'd be pissed if the shoe were on the other foot, surely. Other than that with your chip stack you could afford to try for the kill. You certainly had outs and no real reason to fear that board. Tough luck for your opp. Move on.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:36 AM

How could he flip a 6h with one on the board?

Assuming it was something else... he went all in with Q high? Or a pair of sixes, assuming a different suit?

I dunno... I think its an easy call.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:37 AM

I'm sorry. It was 6d. He had a pair od sixes.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:42 AM

He should be pissed at himself for pushing with sixes.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:11 PM

True. I didn't look at it that way. I just felt bad because he went on and on about "donkey stuff". I also felt bad after taking some more money off them playing dice afterward. Not too bad though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. PS. C-Lo is becoming one of my favorite dice games.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He should be pissed at himself for pushing with sixes.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dunno. i usually don't get pissed at myself for pushing as a 75% favorite.

do you?
Old 12-12-2005, 12:51 PM

I suppose it depends. Granted, I don't know what the blinds were up to. But I don't know that I would have chosen that particular time to go all in with sixes - short stacked against a guy who can clearly afford a call and probably will.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:53 PM

We capped the blinds at 600 1200 at that point. He really was running out of options
Old 12-12-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am usually a pretty solid player and over the weekend I played in a home tounament. 25 dollar buy in, one rebuy for full amount, and 10 dollar add-on after rebuys are over. I played the rock the entire tourney. Only got my money in with the best of it. Before getting heads up, I probably only played maybe six hands and all of them were monster pots. Anyway, enough background...heads up is going well for me as I have the chip lead and I am forcing my opponent to a decision for all his chips almost every hand. Finally, I get AcKc on the small blind. I just call, hoping to get him to through his remaining chips in. He just checks. Flop comes 6h jc 2s. He puts all his money in the pot About 4000 in chips to my overwhelming 25000 plus. I immediately call (no idea why, brain fart I guess) He flips Qh 6d. The turn is a Ks. The river is a meaningless 2c. He gets pissed as I just busted him by being a donkey. Was this poor play on my part like he said? Or was I correct to call with my two overs to the board and hope to get lucky for the win?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's playing Q6off, finding himself against AKs, and is complaining that YOU'RE the donkey? If the blinds were 1200/2400, you could call with a lot of worse hands than AK against an all-in. He was lucky on the flop, got beaten, he should stop whining.

BTW, this statement "I am usually a pretty solid player " was a waste of typing- it has no relevance.