Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-19-2005, 10:48 PM

Default Insurance Question

Alright OOT'ers, help me out here. I just recently bought a used car. I haven't even had it for a week yet. So I'm at a party with a bunch of co-workers, this chick is leaving, and as she backs out she hits my car. The damage isn't bad, but it's there. Problem is that she doesn't have insurance yet, but she's getting it on Monday. She's going to take care of the damage one way or the other, but I don't want her to pay out of pocket. So we're thinking that we'll just claim the accident next Saturday. I'm being told that I have to get a police report. Is this true? I mean if she claims responsibility I don't see the need for a police report. I know she'll get it taken care of, that's not my concern, I just want to make sure that she's not paying out of pocket. Thoughts....
Old 11-19-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Insurance Question

Filing a false claim (ie, one that lists the accident that is on a different date than it was) puts you at some risk (however small) of having it denied - screw her, tell the truth and get her to pay it out of pocket.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:51 PM

Insurance companies require a police report. This is true.

Also, I'd be very careful about how you handle this. If you get caught for filing a false police report and insurance fraud...you go to federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:02 PM

Have her back into it again next Saturday when she has insurance then get a police report. Or just make her pay out of pocket.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:20 PM

I think you should tell the truth. There will probably be some scrutiny if a claim is filed within a very short time after the insurance is purchased.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have her back into it again next Saturday when she has insurance then get a police report. Or just make her pay out of pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 11-19-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I'd be very careful about how you handle this. If you get caught for filing a false police report and insurance fraud...you go to federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absolutely not true. I know of several accidents that involved bumping in a parking lot, and no police report was needed.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absolutely not true. I know of several accidents that involved bumping in a parking lot, and no police report was needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was told the same too. A friend of mine backed into someone's car, they exchanged information and everything worked out. If she claims responsibility I can't see a problem being had. Even if she does deceide to screw me, I have 8 witnesses. She won't do that though, she's a sweetheart and I'm just trying to make it cheaper for her.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop it.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:20 AM

She might want to pay for it out of pocket depending on what it does to her insurance and if its not very expensive to fix.