Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 11-08-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Re: PLO8 - First time ever and couldn\'t even show it

[ QUOTE ]
I would've raised the flop, and I would've called the turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you would have RE-raised the flop, correct?

My thoughts, I potted preflop and then he pots into me on the flop. I felt he caught more of the flop for the high than me (2pr, set, oe str8 at worst) and I was only on a draw for the low. When the turn brought a blank for me and possible help for him, I accepted the fact that I was on a draw for only 1/2 the pot and mucked it.

Feel free to correct my play but provide details. I admit the flop call may have been weak but I put him on a good hand.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would've raised the flop, and I would've called the turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you would have RE-raised the flop, correct?

My thoughts, I potted preflop and then he pots into me on the flop. I felt he caught more of the flop for the high than me (2pr, set, oe str8 at worst) and I was only on a draw for the low. When the turn brought a blank for me and possible help for him, I accepted the fact that I was on a draw for only 1/2 the pot and mucked it.

Feel free to correct my play but provide details. I admit the flop call may have been weak but I put him on a good hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

AA with a nut low draw with counterfit protection and backdoor flush draw is a favorite over every hand you listed except a set. Play with twodimes or some software until you know where you stand against your opponents likely range (yes it is a favorite over 2 pair but very slight). If he doesn't have a set (which I think is very unlikely with a board full of middle cards in a raised pot), you definitely want to keep the lead. I think the flop is a clear raise.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering when someone would say this. If you are mentally playing for an audience, you are not playing optimally.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I wasn't playing for an audience but it was kind of like having a Royal but not showing it; I'm slightly more disciplined with my money. True, I lost money but I'm working on the assumption that I saved money by folding.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm working on the assumption that I saved money by folding.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a bad assumption.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
True, I lost money but I'm working on the assumption that I saved money by folding.

[/ QUOTE ]
Careful with this logic. The EV that you lose through making poor folds when your equity justifies otherwise is just as bad as the EV lost through making bad bets/calls/raises.

Edit: Perhaps the EV lost through bad folds is even worse when also considering metagame implications.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's no reasonable option other than raising the flop. I think you folded the best hand on the turn most of the time. If you had bet the flop and got raised, it's a little trickier (assuming deeper stacks than these).

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember, he potted into me on the flop as he was first to act after I had potted preflop.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3) You then posted about how you got unlucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be interpreted this way but it wasn't my goal. I was happy just to get the hand. Would have been nice if I won with it but no big deal. I'm more interested in the thoughts on the play which are pretty negative.

What would you put the bettor on out of curiousity?

[ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much as bad as it gets. But I got a laugh out of it, so you got that going for you, which is nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least it wasn't a wothless post then.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AA with a nut low draw with counterfeit protection and two backdoor flush draws worth ~ 4% each is a favorite over every hand you listed except a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop is 100% reraise. You're ahead almost all the time in this spot and you should be either getting all in or building a pot for the turn. You have position on him. If he just calls your reraise and your turn card hits (well over half the deck), you want a big pot to get all in vs what is a weaker hand most of the time. If it doesn't and he leads full pot into you, you have an easy fold.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:22 PM

I have seen the light. Now I just need to get those cards again, maybe tonight if I'm lucky. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 06:19 AM

He bet the flop; you should have RAISED the flop. If he had a great hand, he might have RE-RAISED. You can't raise before anyone bets, and you can't re-raise before anyone raises.