Old 11-03-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: weekly home poker tourny

So, basically you think this is an ok payout structure:

27 * $20 = $540 prize pool, let's say you pay top 3 finishers:

1st - $270
2nd - $162
3rd - $108

and you get $270

Great work, if you can get it. Good luck finding 27 guys who want to hand you their money.

You said in OP you wanted everyone's opinion. Everyone's opinion (except yours, apparently) is that you're rake is ridiculous.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Third, it dosen't cost PartyPoker $1K to hold a MTT every night of the friggin' week, but they sure charge it!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't understand how a toruney entry buy-in works. A 20+2 is reasonable. A 20+10 is absurd. Why would anyone play in a tourney where they pay a vig equal to 50% of their buyin? Even the live tourneys in AC don't take nearly as high a percentage.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 11-03-2005, 12:05 PM

Lose the rake. Home games are about fun, friends, and lastly, cards.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:53 PM

My opinion is, you shouldn't be trying to start a rip-off, illegal business near where your family sleeps, lest you find them sleeping elsewhere courtesy of the state.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First, of course taking a rake is illegal in my area!! The very game itself is illegal in my area!! But that dosen't stop anybody from playing.
Second, of course I'm doing it to make a profit!! As I said in my first post, none of these people are close friends. When I have a tourny for friends, I NEVER charge anything!!
Third, it dosen't cost PartyPoker $1K to hold a MTT every night of the friggin' week, but they sure charge it!! They've decided that their market of players can bear the cost of $1 for a chance at alot more. Now, if i could fit 250 people in my garage, I'd only charge $1 too.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a big difference between what Party poker does and what you want to do.
Hosting a poker game at a house doesn't invlove decding how much to rake back. Hosting a game is like having a party. ITs going to cost you money in the long run but don't put a cover change at the door.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:04 PM

Lets Look at this logically. $10*27 players =270. 270 * 3 games a week = 810. 810 * 52 weeks =42,120. I dunno but last I checked the IRS sometimes audits people who have made an additional 40 thou this year. And if you do file and pay it, itll be kinda hard to gently explain that you are running a (ridiculous) home poker game and been taking rake. Lucky for you, this wont happen because this idea will not draw any players in. At least not the kind who like money.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Third, it dosen't cost PartyPoker $1K to hold a MTT every night of the friggin' week, but they sure charge it!! They've decided that their market of players can bear the cost of $1 for a chance at alot more. Now, if i could fit 250 people in my garage, I'd only charge $1 too.

[/ QUOTE ]

No matter how you package it, it's still a turd.

Okay let's make a prediction. Unless you drop your rake or increase the buy in until the rake is about 15-20% of the buy in, you may get people the first couple times, but probably nobody by the 3rd poker night. They will quickly notice that 27 x $10 rake is $270, and the prize for 1st place is barely more then that! The only ones I expect to even come are ones that don't understand rake, because anybody else knows it's impossible to win with a 50% rake.

BTW, for a $10 rake, are you even going to provide dealers for this tournament?
Old 11-07-2005, 11:23 PM

Default Screw the rake- your wife should leave you

I'm going on a diff. rant here. How can you host an illegal card game with people you don't know in your garage while your family sleeps upstairs??? And saying "they're not my close friends" basically means you don't know them or their friends. I go to a similar game hosted by a guy with baby in tow throughout the game and approx. 27 players, but 6 are his family, about 20 are co-workers, and the rest (incl. me) are friends of trusted friends with whom I went the first few times.

In your case, it's different, sounds to me. Screw the safety of your game and the legality of it-- my WIFE would shoot me if I tried that, and I wouldn't blame her, with my 3-yr-old son sleeping up stairs. Grow the hell up- just host a friendly game and try to win the money through skill, not extortion.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Screw the rake- your wife should leave you

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going on a diff. rant here. How can you host an illegal card game with people you don't know in your garage while your family sleeps upstairs??? And saying "they're not my close friends" basically means you don't know them or their friends. I go to a similar game hosted by a guy with baby in tow throughout the game and approx. 27 players, but 6 are his family, about 20 are co-workers, and the rest (incl. me) are friends of trusted friends with whom I went the first few times.

In your case, it's different, sounds to me. Screw the safety of your game and the legality of it-- my WIFE would shoot me if I tried that, and I wouldn't blame her, with my 3-yr-old son sleeping up stairs. Grow the hell up- just host a friendly game and try to win the money through skill, not extortion.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 11-15-2005, 01:44 PM

That is a totally ridiculous rake.
Furthermore you aren't providing any services for people's money! No booze allowed? That SUCKS. If your players a paying that much for a seat, they should be allowed to smoke friggin crack in that seat. You should be providing lap dances and cocktail waitresses! Will there at least be full-time dealers for the tables?

Only a true fish would attend that game.

Which is pure genius if you think about it.

Go for it hustler.