Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Dealers mouth!

I would have made a strong request for a rule stating that those not in the hand should keep their mouths OUT of the hand.

You got jobbed.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You got jobbed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree.

If you're playing a cutthroat game against other good players, then betting here to take advantage of someone who might be distracted is fine.

Betting into a fish in a home game is not. As far as I'm concerned, it's shooting an angle. For the love of God, you're playing against a guy who has trouble reading the board. Do you have to resort to this kind of thing in order to turn a profit? Do you think he isn't going to find out, after the hand? How is that going to make him feel? Do you think he's going to continue dumping money into your game if you make a fool out of him here?

I agree that the dealer needs to be smacked, but complaining that you lost half a pot that you were not entitled to is really bad form.

jafager
Old 10-28-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I disagree.
Betting into a fish in a home game is not. As far as I'm concerned, it's shooting an angle. For the love of God, you're playing against a guy who has trouble reading the board. Do you have to resort to this kind of thing in order to turn a profit? Do you think he isn't going to find out, after the hand? How is that going to make him feel? Do you think he's going to continue dumping money into your game if you make a fool out of him here?

[/ QUOTE ]

How does that make him feel? Like a dumbass, of course. Next time he's in that situation he'll know better. I had no idea we were supposed to refrain from making others cry or (God-forbid) take their money fairly. Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 10-28-2005, 08:08 PM

Stupidest thing I've read in a LONG time. Poker is not a game of cards, it's a game of money played with cards.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does that make him feel? Like a dumbass, of course. Next time he's in that situation he'll know better. I had no idea we were supposed to refrain from making others cry or (God-forbid) take their money fairly.

[/ QUOTE ]

For one thing, it's good business. If it's somebody you know will laugh about it, fine. That doesn't sound like it's the case here. This person is obviously a donator. If you trick him out of claiming his half of a $20 pot, and he stops dumping $50 a week into your game, what have you gained?

jafager
Old 10-28-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stupidest thing I've read in a LONG time. Poker is not a game of cards, it's a game of money played with cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

A game played by people. And if you want a continued supply of suckers to play with you, you have to show them at least a little respect. And not making a fool out of them with this kind of play is exactly how you do that.

jafager
Old 10-29-2005, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While I disagree with jafager about this being a type of angle shoot (especially since this is a tournament, where a pot means more than in a cash game, because of the knock-out nature of tournaments), I STRONGLY disagree with you that this was "stupid" (and if this is the stupidest thing you've read in a long time, you must not bounce around these boards very much) He has a very good point about long-term vs. short term consequences.

I also don't think that your "game of money" quote makes a good point here.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had no idea we were supposed to refrain from making others cry or (God-forbid) take their money fairly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever tried to start up and maintain a home game? There are a different set of goals to consider besides just your selfish ones (and considering those overall goals might just SERVE your own needs as well).

I'd think about the ideas involved again.

Just to be clear- I still say bet the river, but don't make a big deal of the dealer's interference right then. Do it on the side. I'd also explain to the newer player what they missed, later on.
If your game is so weak that you can't afford to help train newer players to a certain extent, then maybe your game needs work.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:55 PM

Just one small point from your post.
[ QUOTE ]
As the dealer is pulling the river card, he announces "you aren't going to believe this" and turns over a king.......

[/ QUOTE ]

How can the dealer annouce the card? He needs to be reminded on how to deal. Its clear he looked at the card and before turning it up for all to see had time to make his remark. Very very bad.
1 if hes going thru the deck its wrong
2 if he looks at the card and holds it back its wrong.
Dealers must flip the card so all can see at the sametime. Doesn't matter if they are playing or not.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:53 PM

I don't softplay anyone, I guess it's a character flaw, dunno.