Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

View Poll Results: Hero decides to...
Push 24 40.00%
Fold 36 60.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Et tu, Brute?

I took a survey course on roman history freshman year just so that I could contribute to discussions like this. seriously, all I wanted to do was sound smart. but it's now clear to me that that class did nothing for me. I don't even remember most of the emporers on that list. where's my tacitus when I need it.

wasn't marcus aurelius one of the last good emporers? I voted for him but I clearly don't have any idea what's going on.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:34 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

Did you know Julius Caesar was having a homosexual relationship with King Nicomedes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that what Brokeback Mountain is about?

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't seen it but unless this relationship with Nicomedes took place in 1963 in Wyoming, I'm guessing no. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2005, 12:35 PM

I took a survey course on roman history freshman year just so that I could contribute to discussions like this. seriously, all I wanted to do was sound smart. but it's now clear to me that that class did nothing for me. I don't even remember most of the emporers on that list. where's my tacitus when I need it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have "Cicer0wned" yourself.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
eu manus, canicula [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

(canicula actually means "little bitch," and it's the first word I got when I got when I searched for "sir." and it's so funny to me that there is a word for that that I had to use it.)
Old 10-13-2005, 12:44 PM

[/ QUOTE ]
eu manus, canicula [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

(canicula actually means "little bitch," and it's the first word I got when I got when I searched for "sir." and it's so funny to me that there is a word for that that I had to use it.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thankyou for your translation, unfortunately I only speak a little of the vulgar Latin variety known as Spanish, and not the Latin you "gods" of Rome speak amongst yourself. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2005, 12:50 PM

it's ok. you can't all be gods. &lt;yawn&gt; I'm gonna go hurl lightning bolts at the plebeians.

(actually I've never even taken a course in latin [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Old 10-13-2005, 12:55 PM

I think the tu form is a little to informal for the man whos trying to assasinate you
Old 10-13-2005, 11:37 PM

I think the tu form is a little to informal for the man whos trying to assasinate you

[/ QUOTE ]

"Y Usted Brute" [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2005, 11:50 PM

This question is WAY too complicated to be answered in the form of a poll, and not only because the qualitative factors are not clearly defined, but...

brutus: supposedly a roman comitted to the 'democratic' process that was taken for a ride by the power hungry cassius and company, duped into the belief that their actions was something other than a power grab by the rich elite.

Ceaser: roman leader that hads REFUSED an offering of a crown/dictatorship- thus the idea that he was killed to preserve democracy is a BS cover for the disposessed powerful aristocrats like the conspiritors that were being marginalized by J's growing influence...

Agustus (octavian): brilliant statesman and general, far, far better for rome than democracy, ceaser, brutus, M antony cassius, or any other potential leader. garuenteed rome's dominance for centuries. had degenerate children/descendants- too bad.

rome: never really a democracy anyway.

Hadrian, Trajen, constantine, etc: good emperors, garunteed that the latin/western tradition would dominate european power structures for centuries

Nero, calugia, tiberius, etc: bad emperors

and so on...
Old 10-14-2005, 12:00 AM

This question is WAY too complicated to be answered in the form of a poll, and not only because the qualitative factors are not clearly defined, but...

brutus: supposedly a roman comitted to the 'democratic' process that was taken for a ride by the power hungry cassius and company, duped into the belief that their actions was something other than a power grab by the rich elite.

Ceaser: roman leader that hads REFUSED an offering of a crown/dictatorship- thus the idea that he was killed to preserve democracy is a BS cover for the disposessed powerful aristocrats like the conspiritors that were being marginalized by J's growing influence...

Agustus (octavian): brilliant statesman and general, far, far better for rome than democracy, ceaser, brutus, M antony cassius, or any other potential leader. garuenteed rome's dominance for centuries. had degenerate children/descendants- too bad.

rome: never really a democracy anyway.

Hadrian, Trajen, constantine, etc: good emperors, garunteed that the latin/western tradition would dominate european power structures for centuries

Nero, calugia, tiberius, etc: bad emperors

and so on...

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people blame Constantine and his conversion to Christianity for the fall of the Roman Empire, what do you say bholdr?