Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Smokers?
yes 34 33.01%
no 69 66.99%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2004, 11:25 PM

Default Re: World Series of Poker entry fee

The real problem with the "low" $10,00 entry fee is that either the event will take too long or will have faster structure and lose legitamacy. This year the final is seven days, with two flights in the first round.

Any longer, and someone with a job would need more than a week off to play. But how about a mid level pro player? Considering the huge randomness that would be a 3000+ player tourney, I think some good players could rationally decide to play cash games instead.

There already will be a cap of 2000 players this year. I don't know if they will hit it, we'll see. But how lame would it be if next year significant nnumber of would-be players are turned away? Or late satelites are cancelled? If good players miss the event due to lack of funds, that's bad. But how about good players missing out due to not getting a seat in a scramble to just get in?
Old 05-13-2004, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This year the final is seven days, with two flights in the first round.

Any longer, and someone with a job would need more than a week off to play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not really. Just take three days off. If you're still playing after that, you have enough money to risk being fired.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:55 AM

Nice.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This year the final is seven days, with two flights in the first round.

Any longer, and someone with a job would need more than a week off to play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not really. Just take three days off. If you're still playing after that, you have enough money to risk being fired.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-13-2004, 02:39 PM

Default Re: What I\'d like to see (someday)

is a bigtime cash tourney. $10k to some is nothin' chump change. (not me) but you know what I mean. They already have a $25K buy in tourney at the Bellagio. Still nothin to some. So what is the amount that you can put on a tourney (No Limit) that would wreak major havoc, and stress on the decision process of a particular hand?

$100K buy in would be interesting.

But what I was thinking and hoping to see someday is a "whale" of a tourney. Let's say put 100 players in for $1M (million) buy in. Maybe more players show than that...(pretty attractive prize pool. They have the money and it would be interesting to see how truly "tight" and aggressive the game would be.....probably last for days.

In summary - I'd like to see a poker tournament where the "bigwigs" with the "bigbbucks" play with an entry fee that actually "stung" if they lost. $10K would sting like a bitch to most here....but I really don't think it hurts the big cash cows that much. Just dreaming but it would be a helluva show.

How many players ya think have a million to stake on a tourney or would?

Brunson
Bill Gates (Plays poker don't know how well)
Larry Flynt
Howard Lederer
Hellmuth
Greenstein
Chip Reese
Gus Hansen

there's many more I'm sure.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:48 PM

Default Re: What I\'d like to see (someday)

Bill Gates wouldn't play, would hurt his image too much, plus he only plays for small stakes $3/$6...thats less than chump change...that would be like you and me playing $0.0000001/$0.0000002 cent poker.

Hellmuth would want to play in it cause of his ego, but defintly couldn't afford it...hes a millionaire but that would be playing way above his bankroll, like half his bankroll, maybe more.

Same for Gus.