Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Red Sox no brainer re Damon & Ramirez

Despite having mediocre starting pitching, a disaster of a bullpen with no closer, lousy at first base, average at second, lousy at short, average at third, solid defensively but no great shakes offensively at catcher and mediocre at best in rightfield, they somehow managed to win 95 games and get into the playoffs.

With so many weaknesses/flaws, how did they do it? Well we all know how they did it. They did it on the backs of just three players who had outstanding seasons. Damon, Ortiz and Ramirez.

So to me it's a no brainer. There's no way they can trade Ramirez and they got to find a way to re-sign Damon. I'm not really panicking yet because I think at least hope this whole trade Manny thing is just a charade to appease the baby. And there appears to be no market for Damon, so hopefully that gets done too.

But if they lose one or both, I don't see how they compete for a playoff spot in 2006.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Red Sox no brainer re Damon & Ramirez

You're shortchanging Bill Mueller and Jason Varitek. Johnny Damon was much closer to those two than he is to Manny and Papi.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:11 PM

Damon's importance as a lead off hitter can not be under etimated. Manny and Ortiz had all those rbi for a reason.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:13 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

Well, you don't give Damon more than 4 years. I'm not so sure I'd want to go more than 3 really. And what is with the perception that his 2005 was so other-worldly when his 2004 was clearly better? Is it the 18-1 SB/CS ratio? I don't get it.

And Manny is unlikely to go anywhere unless they get near equal value in return. Which means he's not going anywhere. Methinks he lacks the focus and the resolve to be too much of a distraction.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:21 PM

Yeah, he was better in 2004 but he had a helluva year in 2005 too. He's the ideal lead off hitter and the Sox have no one to replace him there. They'll be able to find a seviceable defensive CFer but the offense will suffer without him leading off.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:48 PM

"It's over, Johnny!"
Old 12-14-2005, 05:50 PM

Damon's "decline" last year (fewer walks and much less power) was disguised by a high batting average. I'd expect him to drop off severely the next few years.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:41 PM

Damon really isn't that old and has been pretty durable. But he's a major risk because not only may his production decline, he may not always be able to play center field. He could decline to 280/330/420 levels and become a bad contract for the last couple years of a four year deal, which is bad enough. But if that bad contract can't play center field and has to be stuck in a corner or platooned somewhere, he becomes deadweight akin to Bernie Williams circa 2005.

Three years at 10M per I can deal with. Anything more and its just not worth it.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:31 PM

They could lose to stand Damon more than Ramirez but losing him would hurt. 3 years is fair but not gonna happen with the Yankees rumored to be getting more involved the past couple of days. Boston can afford 4 years even if he doesnt last that long and I really dont think they want to see him in pinstripes.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:00 PM

The Red Sox scored about a hundred runs more than they allowed. If they can do it again, they should win about the same number of games, and that should be good enough to get them into the playoffs. I think they've done fine in the off-season. Losing Manny would be a big blow, unless they got, say, Tejada for him. Damon is a good, but not great player, not in Manny's class.