Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Poker Impedes on Hopes and Dreams? (low content)

If you're expecting this to be a bashing of the time consuming nature of poker, I'm sorry (or happy, actually) to say it's not. It's merely an observation of how poker has affected my own life recently, and how I expect it to continue affecting it for years to come.

I'm sure many of you are in this same boat -- especially players out there under the age of, say, 28 (arbitrary age, but you'll see my point). The fact is, I have the inability to sit in front of a computer and do anything else besides either play or read about poker. This is a big matzah ball for me, considering my lifelong dream is to become a screenwriter. Not much of chance this dream will be realized if I am have the constant urge to 4-table the 55s the second I sit down in front of a computer.

Now, there is one saving grace about my predicament. I do have the potential to use my screenwriting passion as an outlet for my poker crave. However, I'll admit, that I have not really taken advantage of this (though I do have a good 2 or 3 plots that revolve around poker in one way or another, none of which could be considered very Rounders-esque).

Do any of you fellow 2+2ers share this plight? Do you see poker as something that may ultimately consume your life and lead to accept some predestined life path that allows poker to fit in as well?

I have no intention of leaving the game, and honestly, cannot see myself doing it for a long time. I have far too much learn and yet I feel like I've come so far. Poker has really become central to my everyday life and thinking -- really the way movies used to be.

Perhaps this is just a change to embrace. Perhaps it's just a phase. Perhaps I'd be a god-awful screenwriter anyway, and at least I'm making money playing poker before I realize that.

Regardless, I'd like to hear if anyone has similar thoughts on their poker dispositions.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Poker Impedes on Hopes and Dreams? (low content)

I just took a year off from my job to travel around the world playing online poker to support myself. I leave for Hawaii in September. So yes. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 03:30 PM

Poker has deffinatly become the "topic" of choice for me the past year. However as with everything i eventually pick up, it ends just as quickly. I like to learn basically. And once i've grasped the basic understanding of a new activity, or sport, or interest, i usually get bored and either never finish. Poker however has been going on for well over 6 months for me, so its something that is more intriguing to me then most things, although some days is worse then others, and sometimes i just need a break from it. I would hope that it never totally consumes me, because there's so much more to life out there. As soon as i notice it taking precedent to things like my family and my job, im going to take a break from it for a long time. And re establish what's important to me at this point in my life. I can completely understand how people get hooked on it (gambling in general) but poker involves so much more skill then something like roulette, so it feels like your actually doing something and have actual influence on the outcome of situations. The mental side of it is very interesting also. Either way, if it starts ruining, or taking away from things that are important to me, then i'd start to question how much its affecting my life.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
though I do have a good 2 or 3 plots that revolve around poker in one way or another

[/ QUOTE ]

Give it up. Nothing could ever top "Tilt" [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just took a year off from my job to travel around the world playing online poker to support myself. I leave for Hawaii in September. So yes. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the coolest thing ever.

Irieguy
Old 08-04-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
though I do have a good 2 or 3 plots that revolve around poker in one way or another

[/ QUOTE ]

Give it up. Nothing could ever top "Tilt" [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true. The day that show premiered was TRULY when my hopes and dreams were crushed. Oh well, back to writing movies about people playing Parchesi. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's GANGSTA!
Old 08-04-2005, 04:30 PM

I find that I can't play any other computer games. I view every hour I spend playing Tiger Woods 2005 or NBA Live as wasted revenue.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:33 PM

and he planned it for after the sttf-hu, has his priorities straight. I miss being young when i read something like that.

Steve
Old 08-04-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For today, you sir are my hero [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]