Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: the psychology of the current 2+2er

but it easily became the most discussed part of TPFAP on these forums, for almost a yr...

maybe David didn't mean it, but he did unleash a monster - I think him and Mason eventually had to give a lecture on it at one of the Vegas seminars..

RB
Old 07-11-2005, 02:00 PM

I can't speak for anyone else, but my primary reason for reading 2p2 discussions is to improve my game. I rarely post anything poker here, but find being a voyeur to the discussions useful. If only to test my awareness of what is BS and what isn't (there's a lot of BS put out by people who think they are better than they are), I find it to be helpful. The tactics I have learned concerning rakeback & and bonus whoring are profitable, but I know deep down that intimate knowledge and skill at the game will eventually yield fruit far greater than a grand a month.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I don't know that I'll ever play higher than 15/30. The extra effort (and stress) required to beat higher and higher games isn't worth it for me. I play 5/10 6-max right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

A year ago I was playing 3/6 online and up to 10/20 live. I felt the exact same way. Now, I think 15/30 is small. You get better in small steps and it continues almost imperceptibly and then one day you look back over the last 3 months and you see a big jump forward. Then you watch 20/40 or 30/60 and think, "I can beat that game." And you probably can. I don't know where I'm going to end up but I'm done thinking that I'm going to stop anywhere. And I'm not one of these savant-like guys for whom poker comes naturally like GoT/CDC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I've already come further than I thought I would, so I guess anything is possible.

However, if I can multi-table and beat a game like 15/30, I just don't see myself needing to play any higher, unless I see an extraordinarily soft game.

I just take a bit of issue with the idea that you "should" always be trying to play bigger. Some people just don't have that much gamble in them.

[/ QUOTE ]

i totally agree. i want to become better and better and play higher and higher, but i don't see why it is bad if someone just wants to have some fun losing money or winning at a low/micro limit.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I don't know that I'll ever play higher than 15/30. The extra effort (and stress) required to beat higher and higher games isn't worth it for me. I play 5/10 6-max right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

A year ago I was playing 3/6 online and up to 10/20 live. I felt the exact same way. Now, I think 15/30 is small. You get better in small steps and it continues almost imperceptibly and then one day you look back over the last 3 months and you see a big jump forward. Then you watch 20/40 or 30/60 and think, "I can beat that game." And you probably can. I don't know where I'm going to end up but I'm done thinking that I'm going to stop anywhere. And I'm not one of these savant-like guys for whom poker comes naturally like GoT/CDC.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it sounds sycophantic, but I just wanted to say I find this very inspiring. Thanks sfer.

Being quite risk averse and not playing more than 5k hands or so a month it'll take me a long time to get to 100-200 (if I'm good enough). I want to be good enough to play at the mid/high levels, my interest in the money is only to build my bankroll to cusion my ego along the way. (Though to be fair I might feel differently if my monthly EV got to become a significant % of my salary - but as I have a decent salary and play low limit this is not likely to be a problem soon.)

I've recently started mixing my games up, some SNGs, Stud/8, PL Omaha, NLHE; it feels like it's improving my game (far too few hands to really tell), but more importantly, it's a lot more fun than grinding away at 2/4.

Ramble over.

RH
Old 07-13-2005, 01:56 AM

I don't understand the contempt that some of the people have for Small Stakes multi-tablers.

I agree that, I would not want to make a career out of it. But the money is undeniably good as a side income.

I make $30-$40 per hour 3-tabling 5/10. I play for about 24-30 hours a week after work. This money is significant for me. I take out half and leave the other half as part of my bankroll.

Many times my Poker money has come close to covering all of my monthly bills. This is a really good thing for me.

I also enjoy playing internet poker. I do not like playing live. People always try to make conversation with me. Playing at home, I eat, spend time with my girlfriend, put my daughter to bed, take a shower, then play for 3-4 hours and then go to sleep.

It is a nice relaxing routine that helps me unwind.

Do I try to improve? Of course, I go through cycles. Sometimes I need a downswing to prompt me.

I think part of the disconnect you are talking about is just the way people view poker. I view it as a way to mjake my life easier financially, and as a source of relaxation. However, I can see how such a casual attitude can irritate somebody to whom poker is a way of life.

Anyway I use all the gadgets because I think they are fun.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:53 AM

While I am a student of the game and love to study the underlying Game Theory and mathematics of it as I grow into a bigger stakes player, I see nothing wrong with players who automate their play and grind out a 3/6 - 5/10 living playing poker.

Some people just want to feed themselves, pay the bills, and have some money left over without going to a day job. Why cast the first stone upon these people who use poker to that end? Why do we all have to be some prodigious students capable of intellectual mastery?

Live and let live.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:13 AM

I want to be famous
Old 07-13-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you are right...the current "average 2+2er" does not really want to better themselves to the point of being a successful ultra high or even high limit professional...

but in my situatino and i would imagine its common for many that post here, is that they are college students that want to make enough money doing something relatively fun/interesting so that they don't have to have a shitty job working at borders or starbucks or whatever...also, for most people in that situation, they will make double or triple or more what they could make in any standard job...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's close to my own situation, but I'm still a book slave part-time and college student. However, I'm always looking to improve my game without some of the online gimmicks. I think most players would like to move up a few levels. I would move up right now if I had the BR and the confidence.