Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2004, 05:07 PM

Default call or reraise?

I think I made a bad decision on this hand in the heat of the moment, wanted to get some feedback. Would you have been more aggressive pre flop, on the flop, or on the turn?As far as reads, the big stack in MP had been aggressive but not a maniac.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed)

Button (t985)
Hero (t1725)
BB (t545)
UTG (t1000)
MP (t3305)
CO (t440)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP raises to t100, CO folds, Button folds, Hero calls t75, BB calls t50.

Flop: (t300) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Hero checks, BB bets t50, MP calls t50, Hero calls t50.

Turn: (t450) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP bets t400, Hero folds, BB folds.

Final Pot: t850

Results in white. <font color="white"> After everybody folded, he showed Kd Jd, I guess to show he wasn't stealing. I don't know why but I thought he had the flush and didn't want to play for my whole stack on this hand. </font>
Old 04-26-2004, 05:52 PM

Default Re: call or reraise?

The one good thing here is that you had a read and went with it. That may be more beneficial to you in the long run than winning this hand could ever be.

Yesterday in the 500+30 at PS, I had 9-something in a free Big Blind with a J99 flop. MP just in front of me bet, and my first thought was--jack! I called, and was revolted to see a J on the turn. He bet 500, an after hesitating I nearly called, but at the last minute said "hey, you put him on a jack, that beats you, get out." So I did. I'll never know what he had, but I slept soundly, having gone with my gut.

I don't have a lot of experience making good folds, but I have noticed that as I have been more willing to give up on a hand, my results have improved.

But man, I wish I'd gone all-in on that flop!

So anyway, yeah, you were wrong in this specific case, but you had a reason for what you did, and I think that's, at the very least, decent poker.

Doug
Old 04-27-2004, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the feedback. After kicking it around in my head for a while, I think you are right. My thought was that at this point I didn't want to play a huge pot with the one guy that could break me. If he had the flush I had no outs. If he had a 4 flush the flush card could come on the river. As it was, the K could have come on the river as well. He may have laid it down if I come over the top, but he might not. I hated seeing that I laid down the best hand. Against a smaller stack I would have come over the top and risked the flush.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:47 PM

Hi unfrgvn,

Why not call the T400? If you lose, you end up with around T1100. While this isn't great, I would feel I could comeback and at least get in the $$$. That bet smacks of a bluff with the scare card on the river. All things being equal, I would try play the sherriff and keep MP honest.

That said, I agree with Doug. I still think you should always go with your gut.... and most of the time my gut would tell me to call...but if it didn't, I would fold.

Pitcher
Old 04-27-2004, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi unfrgvn,

Why not call the T400?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you call what is the plan for the river?
Old 04-27-2004, 02:00 PM

I wouldn't even call this hand. You already have a decent size stack to move on and win the tournament. Why play a hand with the guy who can beat you? What if the flop is Axx, and he bets aggressively on the flop. You wouldn't like to see him turn over AQ or AK. Anyway, I always fold this hand to a raise.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:13 PM

Hi Guys,

My bad, I misread the hand and thought the bet came on the river. That completely changes my answer to fold.

Pitcher
Old 04-27-2004, 02:14 PM

A newbie to these as well but here goes.

Pre flop, at this point in the tourney, still earlyish with a healthy stack I dont understand the flat call. If you think he is trying it on then reraise, if you believe him fold.

Ok so you called, on the flop its uncordinated and doesnt suit a raiser again you check call for me you either have to bet out, reraise or fold.

I think all in all in this sort of hand at this stage of the tournie against the cip leader you either have to take control or get out, otherwise you get in this position that he keeps control and pushed you off the best hand.

As I said newbie as well so any thoughts on if I am right or wrong appreciated.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:03 PM

unfrgvn-

If you're going to fold your club outs, you don't have odds to call the flop bet (even the min bet). Add in that you may not have the best hand even if an A hits and I think you should fold or raise on the flop. Folding is safer, of course, but the minbet would indicate weakness for some opponents so the check-raise might be worth a try.

And...if you agree with my analysis so far, the preflop call no longer looks that great so folding or reraising preflop might have been a better choice.

Just a little food for thought...

Che
Old 04-27-2004, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I guess since I play Partys 10+1 SNG maybe I overrate A J as a starting hand. I have read many times here that a lot of you will muck it to a raise, to eliminate the A x x guessing game, but at this level more often than not A J is the best hand.
As far as the flat calls go, my idea was to play and hopefully win a small pot, or have the flop come A A J [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]. I don't know why but I got real passive on this hand, normally I might have check raised the flop and then fold if re-raised. I think I was too worried about his stack, in which case the pre flop fold to his raise may have been my best play. After this hand I lost two coin flip hands to smaller stacks, once I had medium pair against over cards and he caught and once I had over cards to a small pair and didn't catch. Ended up 3rd.