Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2004, 06:04 PM

Default Party 5+1 multi...

Finally finshed in the money in a multi. 109th out of 1100. Total payout....wait for it....$6.60! Whoo Hoo. 20 cents an hour ain't all bad, right? Had fun and got experience, that's the main thing.

Still thinking about the one that got away. Full table, but only 3 matter. Blinds 25/50. On my right is big stack in the SB with about T4500. I'm in the BB with T2390. UTG has about T1100 and open raises to 150. Folded around to SB, who calls. I have 86o. I thought for a minute, then folded. My thought was that if I catch a nice flop, I'm going to win a lot of chips because BB had been sliding all in post flop on a lot of hands. He was called once or twice and was sliding on top pair/good kicker both times. Then I thought I hated to piss away 100 chips on a hand I'm most likely going to have to fold post flop. Well, the flop comes 866. Sure enough, after the turn card is a blank BB slides all in. I doubt he flopped the top full house with PP 8's, though I suppose he could have.

Anyway, long story short, if a similiar situation were to come up again, is it a +ev play to take a shot at something like this?

Thanks
Doug
Old 03-25-2004, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Party 5+1 multi...

Wait, are you the BB? You say you are then you go on to describe the behavior of 'bb'. I assume you meant 'UTG'.

That being the case, you have to fold here, reguardless of what came on the flop. Given your read of UTG, making a dicey call here with a drawing hand when money is deep could be EV, since it sounds like you feel like he will end up all-in when you have the best hand, but I just don't think 86o is good enough...
Old 03-26-2004, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Party 5+1 multi...

Sorry, I was the BB. It was the SB to my right that was sliding all the time. UTG was a reasonable player who folded after the SB slid in on the turn. You are right, unless I hit my hand hard on the flop I would have to fold. A draw would not be good enough. I know not to be results oriented, but in this case I did think before folding that if I did call I could easily double up from the SB if I hit my hand hard, 2 pair or better. I think in the future, with the money this deep and the fact that I could close the action and not face a reraise, I would take a chance on this hand.