Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 09:06 AM

Default Re: I\'m tommo and I\'m a poker addict

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly believe I'm addicted. However, I make a lot of money while being addicted and still manage to get decent grades/stay in good shape/have some friends. albeit some of these are somewhat forfeited. I have made it my goal to cut the amount of poker I play and get better grades but I don't think stopping entirely is the right way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure how to respond to this, since it is very much the typical response of an addict.

I think you need to be really careful how you manage your poker playing. One idea to consider is to take the alcoholics 30 day challenge - don't play any poker for 30 days and see how you feel. If you cannot manage to do this, then it indicates that you may be in dangerous territory.

You seem like a really bright and intelligent guy. Don't let an addiction rule your life. You have to take control of your actions and manage your behaviors.

Good luck.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:13 AM

good thread.
really!

bump.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I advise you you're an idiot. This guy's academic and social life is declining because he has an unhealthy preocupation with gambling. The answer isn't become a professional gambler any more than telling an alcoholic he should become a professional drinker.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can become a professional drinker? Why didnt anyone tell me sooner!

Greg
Old 08-16-2005, 09:51 AM

GPA and internships don't mean too much if you're planning on starting up your own business, and 200K in seed money is a lot more important. If you can earn that much money playing poker over the next year, don't sweat four tenths of a point on your GPA and internships... the addiction question is another story. If you go corporate or start up your own business and still are obsessed with the game, then it's counseling time.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
GPA and internships don't mean too much if you're planning on starting up your own business, and 200K in seed money is a lot more important. If you can earn that much money playing poker over the next year, don't sweat four tenths of a point on your GPA and internships... the addiction question is another story. If you go corporate or start up your own business and still are obsessed with the game, then it's counseling time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to disagree with this sentiment. One of the biggest advantages a person will get from graduating university is an instant alumni network. Those alumni will likely be impressed by a high GPA obtained at their Alma Mater. As a recent graduate looking to start a business, that kind of achievement may make a huge difference.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:11 AM

I would take Indiana's advice. (Provided that you are really winning like you say you are - we all know gamblers are tremendous at prevarication and and self-delusion).

We are in the Golden Age of Poker. The fish are teeming and the cost of playing is low. It will not always be like this. The fish supply WILL dry up to a large degree. The cost of internet poker WILL go up, or even worse, the government might figure out a way to shut it down. If you can clear a few hundred thousand or a few million playing now, it is best to forego college during this limited opportunity. Sock away the bucks, buy a house, provide for retirement, etc. Then return to college later - it will always be there.

-Marc
Old 08-16-2005, 10:15 AM

Listen to sandsmarc, he is wise. However, I do think that poker in vegas will always be fishy and I think that we have at least 10 yrs before we see any fading of this game. Ultimately, you have to decide what u wanna do with your poker game. Do you wanna be great, or just play as a hobby? Personally, I wanna be great. And the only way to be great is to make it your #1 priority. You will not get bored with this game if you continually make it your goal to play at a higher level. You should not be content until you are sitting in the big game at the Bellagio taking money from Barry G.

Indy
Old 08-17-2005, 12:45 AM

If poker has lost its fun and become a chore mabye try doing some other things and cutting back on your hours. Mabye 3 hours a day instead of 8 would be good. If you're a physics and math major, have you ever considered pursuing a career in education??? You could teach K-12, pretty nice job, nice benefits, and u can play poker in your spare time.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and I average about $32-$4k a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Play for 52 more weeks, invest and retire.

34,000*52 about 1.8 million Surely you can live off that.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i'm thinking it may be time to visit a counsellor or someone at your school to get soem good advice on this. i'm sure there is a service for students at your school that is also free.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is GOOD advice!