Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Overbetting the Pot

I'm always seeing people in NL tournaments and ring games overbetting the pot. I can rarely see the point of ever overbetting the pot. I say rarely because sometimes it depends on the situation, but in general is it ever technically sound to over bet the pot? Isn't it just a poor risk/reward. For example, if you hold the nut full house and the pot is $35 why bet more than $35? I know of several circumstances when it would be correct, but I'm just looking for a general response. Of course, if you want to go into detail feel free.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Overbetting the Pot

With a lock hand you should bet as much as you think will get called (I'm assuming heads up). Against many players this is a small bet they can't refuse. But against many other players they'll call just about anything if they like their hand so if your opponent would have called $100 and you only bet $20 you've made an $80 mistake.

Even against decent opponents it sometimes makes sense to overbet to look like you're stealing - they may actually be more likely to look you up when you overbet than when you put in a bet that looks like it's trying to milk more money out of them. (The reverse of this can also be true when bluffing).
Old 08-11-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Overbetting the Pot

i tend to play way LAG when i (rarely) play NL, and my opponents know it. so, for me, overbets get paid off enough to make them worthwhile. sometimes i make huge semi-bluff overbets when i sense weakness, too. i also overbet against anyone that i'm sure will call with a draw that doesn't justify it. overbets are goot, basicly.