Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Mini Step 4 Quandry

At this early level, I think you make at least a 2x pot bet to open after the flop. If they call with a 6 there then they're not playing well. I think in the long run you have higher EV by opening the betting with top two pair in this situation in which you had checked PF from the big blind. No one is putting you on KQ here, so you can induce aggressive players with a K, Q or draw to play back at you and often lose, while at the same time you price out most players from drawing with a 6 or a gut shot.

Finishing 6-9 at Step 4 is basically losing anyway.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Mini Step 4 Quandry

Finishing 6-9th is all losing, but to highly varying degrees. There is a big difference between 7th, with it's freeroll to play a $55 step 3 SNG, and 9th with it's freeroll to play a $6 step 5 SNG.

At any rate, he did have K-J. I folded and he showed. I lost an early chance to double-up and head for the step 5 $2k SNG. Instead, I limped into 7th, down a step to Step 3, where I promptly was sent back to Step 1. I suck.