Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Is this push insane or standard?

[ QUOTE ]
However in the process you don't realize that there is almost zero chance that they will play tighter than your range, but quite a signifigant chance that you misjudged and they will be looser, sometimes much so, thus making your play signifigantly -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best thing that has been posted on this forum in the last week.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:23 AM

I fold in a lower buyin. It is borderline by ICM, but I want to say fold now for a couple reasons.

One - I said borderline before I had played today. I just played for a while and it doesn't really seem close to a push. Second, Curtains and Eastbay say so. But really, even without them saying it feels a lot more clear to me after playing.

PS. I want to brag somewhere to someone and my Wife's asleep and no friends logged onto IM, so I'll bury it here.

My last ten SNGs all $33s
Old 06-16-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im not clever enough to make the converter work, so sorry if this hand looks a little weird.

Anyways, theres 4 players left in a 20+2 SnG. Blinds are 150/300 I am the chipleader and first to act. I am dealt Qc 3d and push.

Thought they cant really call me on the bubble without a monster, so I tend to push almost any 2 cards here. Is that overdoing it and does it ever make sense to raise less in that spot?

Thanks for your help guys

UTG (2760)
UTG+ 1(1640)
SB (1885)
BB (1715)

Hero raises (2760) to 2760
Hero is all-In.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is far from standard in a 20 with a marginal chip lead. I don't think its terrible but probably -$EV unless the blinds are pretty tight.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If they are solid players (ie, not that loose) I would probably push A8+, 55+, KQs, KJs, QJs, KTs and JTs from UTG. Of course it depends. If I have gotten my big stack through tight play and just winning a few big hands I might push more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is about a notch too tight even for a lowbuyin SNG. The fact that most people seem to think that the Q3o is borderline should certainly tell you that this range is way tight.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone who calls without a monster u is the biggest idiot on history, u must have some FE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hes playing in a 20+2 ... its filled with idiots.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:06 AM

i get called by A4o too frequently when i make moves like this.. the only time it works is when one of the other players is very short.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im not clever enough to make the converter work, so sorry if this hand looks a little weird.

Anyways, theres 4 players left in a 20+2 SnG. Blinds are 150/300 I am the chipleader and first to act. I am dealt Qc 3d and push.

Thought they cant really call me on the bubble without a monster, so I tend to push almost any 2 cards here. Is that overdoing it and does it ever make sense to raise less in that spot?

UTG (2760)
UTG+ 1(1640)
SB (1885)
BB (1715)

Hero is all-In.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is far from standard in a 20 with a marginal chip lead. I don't think its terrible but probably -$EV unless the blinds are pretty tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

i ran an icm on this, you need one of the blinds to be a maniac (22+, A2+, k2+, Q9+) in order for it to be -EV. regardless, the matter at hand here is your image which is what it will ultimately destroy.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

UTG (2760)
UTG+ 1(1640)
SB (1885)
BB (1715)

Hero is all-In.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i ran an icm on this, you need one of the blinds to be a maniac (22+, A2+, k2+, Q9+) in order for it to be -EV. regardless, the matter at hand here is your image which is what it will ultimately destroy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?? Sounds wrong to me.... and if it's 'correct', well it still sounds wrong [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

(btw, in Eastbay's model how are posted blinds allocated? As still belonging to the stack in question or are they taken out of circulation altogether?)
Old 06-16-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

UTG (2760)
UTG+ 1(1640)
SB (1885)
BB (1715)

Hero is all-In.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you just need 2 of them to be a little too loose.

Its very easy to get it down to only a very marginally EV move which is probably a good enough to go ahead and wait.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:41 PM

I will say it: this push is terrible. It's not like you've got the whole table dominated chip wise. You lose this and you are the shortstack. You're UTG and playing on the 22's.

It always kills me that people constantly say that the players on the 11s, 22s, and maybe even higher are idiots. This is true for the most part. That means that they will pay you off when you value bet. It also means that pushing in spots like this is pure folly. (Also why I think C betting whiffed AK on level 1 is just chip spewing, but that's another topic altogether.) The risk / reward ratio is horrendous.