Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 08:59 PM

Default Re: comments...

I guess it wasn't a good response, being as it was misunderstood in two different ways.

First (to TOW), I wasn't calling Curtains a moron. I just think that some excellent players would argue with the move and I'd welcome the argument (Lorinda?). Also, this was a $109.

To Curtains, I just meant that it is a lot like a situation when you are in the BB and 'only' have to put in 500 more to win 1300 and you have to do it with a weak hand. I don't pass up these calls, I just don't like them. I should probably just start liking them or something.

Anyway, I've played with the numbers a bit and I think your move is +$EV and unsuited it is -$EV, though I didn't do anything about the BB calls, which I agree will be rare, but will sometimes happen.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:59 PM

Curtains, I would like it if you had a little bit bigger stack, but I don't think it is bad as is.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:30 PM

K9s there is totally standard.

J4s...I think I want a few more chips in the pot for that.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:36 PM

is this sort of like the gigabet post? If you lose, you still have enough chips to get FE but if you win then you will have a dominating chip lead with which to bully the rest of the table.

[ QUOTE ]
btw one factor is that it does kill my image if I lose the hand, and should hurt my steal equity a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]
with the pot odds so close I think that this is an important factor and the influence that it has depends on the table. In my experience bad players are going to increase their calling standards after seeing this significantly more than good players. In future hands, good players are going to know that you are pushing trash regardless of this hand but won't want to call and bust out. Bad players will assume that you are a maniac and have trouble laying down their shiny A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the bubble.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Gigabet\'s thread

I think that this hand may be a perfect example of the idea Gigabet was talking about in his thread. With the blinds at 200/400, and the stack sizes as they are, I would say one 'block' of chips as Gigabet referred to them would be around 1200-1400 chips. Most players have around 1 'block' of chips in this hand except for curtains and aceneverlos. The amount of chips in the pot is around 1350 -- precisely what one 'block' is. Should curtains lose this hand, he loses about 550 extra chips than he would have had he folded. 550 is substantially less than one 'block', so losing this hand puts him in about the same shape as if he folded. Basically, the value of the chips in the pot exceeds the value that the pot odds would suggest due to the size of the blinds and stack sizes of the rest of the players at the table. Edit -- and the value of an extra 1350, one block of chips, greatly increases his chances of winning by allowing him to play much more loosely. This extra block of chips can effectively put pressure on the rest of the medium stacks by threatening their whole stack while providing little risk to curtains.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:04 AM

If your BB read is correct then I think the only reason not to is loss of image (if you still have it...), it's clearly a good gamble in its own right.

Just claim you were multi-tabling & mis-clicked.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:36 AM

I would also make this play almost every time at the 109s, but I have a question:

What's the WORST hand you would do this with? T4s? 93s?

At what point do you feel the chance of winning the hand isn't sufficient justification for the risk of a BB call?
Old 06-13-2005, 10:45 AM

I think I could say Something about blocks of chips and -EV plays if I actually had a clue what any of it meant.