Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Should have called?

Trying to branch out from the SNG world by playing a few multi's. This hand is from the Party 5+1 1200 player free for all(I know, I know, but I gotta start some place...)
Some back ground, low table number so other than the ones that went out the table has been together the whole tourny. I haven't show down a lot of hands, should have a fairly tight image. My opponent in this hand has been on the table the whole way. I haven't played a pot in a while, this seemed like a spot to take a shot at the blinds.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (10 handed) converter

UTG (t890)
UTG+1 (t1235)
UTG+2 (t2860)
MP1 (t1255)
Hero (t2685)
MP3 (t3965)
CO (t830)
Button (t805)
SB (t1630)
BB (t2000)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t250</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>.

Final Pot: t400

Having a little trouble with the converter. The button goes all in for 805, folded back to me. 555 to call with a 1205 pot, a little better than 2:1. I would call my opponent normal, but I expect the range of hands is very wide here, any pair, A 8+, probably KQ, KJ.
So two questions, is trying to steal the blinds here a mistake in a multi? Having tried the steal, do I have to follow through and call the all-in getting 2-1? I folded and hated myself for doing it.

Thanks for any input. FWIW I have an average stack at this point.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Should have called?

Easy call. He's desperate and you can't fold to those pot odds given the range he might be on.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:39 PM

I hate having the shortys in your way of blind steals. Most of the time I just fold preflop here, But when I chose to make a steal I always plan a follow through call if the Shorty Pushes.

So basically , always figure the Shorty will push here with a wide range so be ready for it preflop.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:24 PM

With shortstacks in between you and the blinds this is not the spot you want ot try and steal.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:43 PM

It's not a terrible hand to steal with. The guy still had 9x the BB so he might fold, but will probably call with a lot of junk. Once he's in the situation, he has to call this guy though. His hand isn't even that bad. It's not like he's sitting there with 23o.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:54 PM

I agree, But I would be alittle happier with J9 suited here , just to have that closer connection and alittle more equity to PP (22-88).

The point I was trying to make was that you have to always need a plan with this type of situation. The Normal thought going through my head is " Alright if shorty pushes I am Calling, but if a bigger stack pushes back I am out." You basically have to have that in your head before you attempt the steal.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:54 PM

Stealing is fine, and this hand is a good one to try it with. That said, you need to always factor in that there is a short-stack left to act and he may push on you. If you're going to steal with the short-stack left to act, you need to be ready to call his push. In this case you're getting great odds to call given his range of hands. Also, since you would still be in fairly good shape if you lose it's an easy decision. Call. If the call would leave you very short if you lose, it makes things tougher -- but then again, if you were shorter you should have pushed yourself or bet more when trying to steal. FYI, another thing to consider with a short-stack left to act is making a bigger raise which makes his decision that much harder. Here he could be thinking that he has enough left to make you fold if he pushes (however, he really doesn't and you should call!).
Old 02-15-2005, 04:12 PM

I guess there's that fine line of 'he's got enough where he might fold and see another orbit' vs 'he's so short he's going to push on anything'. Player dependent I suppose. Some will whittle down to 3-4x the BB, some start pushing at 15x. I guess if he had around 11-12x it would be a better attempt, because now you're asking him to call off 1/4 of his stack.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess there's that fine line of 'he's got enough where he might fold and see another orbit' vs 'he's so short he's going to push on anything'. Player dependent I suppose. Some will whittle down to 3-4x the BB, some start pushing at 15x. I guess if he had around 11-12x it would be a better attempt, because now you're asking him to call off 1/4 of his stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for all the input. I normally follow Scooterdoo's advice and have a plan in advance. I guess I lost concentration cause when he pushed it took me by surprise. I thought because the blinds had just passed him he would be more patient. Of course, he may have had a real hand. I knew I should call with the odds, just couldn't pull the trigger. Thanks for confirming what I suspected. Still working on my game, I seem to get to this same point in every tourny and then either make some mis guided bluffs or get blinded to death.