Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 12:44 AM

Default Re: QQ against TAG

[ QUOTE ]
Harv it's like your in my head. How can I bet the river when I'm almost sure a raise is coming and that I'll have to fold to that raise. I mine-as-well just check and call, both options will cost me one BB but checking and calling lets me see his hand.

I chose to check and fold though because with this board and villians stats and his turn call I'm sure I'm beat. If the pot was maybe giving me 11 to 1 I think I would check call. Against a different type of player I would almost certainly bet the river.

-Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the river check/fold. Me thinks you got taken here by a smaller pair. No way he is playing 22 or 88 this way. He has a field day if you have AK and can get you to goto war on the turn.

He could have an ace (I would play an ace this way) but a TAG isn't going to be coldcalling with Ax in this spot.

Brad
Old 02-22-2005, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it hard to put villain on a hand here other than an Ace. Even so, he hasn't really played his hand accordingly (i.e. probably would have raised the turn).

[/ QUOTE ]

If by TAG you mean an idiot then yes I agree with you. A TAG isn't raising this turn with an ace. What will our hero do with AK if the villian raises the turn with AJ? What will the hero do with QQ?

Brad

Editied to cut back on the harshness. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the river check/fold. Me thinks you got taken here by a smaller pair. No way he is playing 22 or 88 this way. He has a field day if you have AK and can get you to goto war on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

What smaller PP (that didn't hit a set) is going to just call the flop bet, though? Doing so is pretty much committing himself to calling down in hopes that Hero has either KQ or KJs.

I can see 88 or 22 playing the hand this way because he wants to get the raise in on the expensive street (and hopefully get a flop overcall from SB), and then when the second A hits on the turn, he decides that there is now a larger chance that Hero is on a high PP that will fold to a raise...so call & hope that he can get at least 1 more BB out of Hero on the river. If Hero does have an A, especially AK, then he probably gets a capped river anyway.

It makes absolutely zero sense for Button to play any other underpair this way, unless it was with the express intent of raising the river to force Hero to make the correct fold with KK-99. Even still, it would've made far more sense for Button to simply raise the flop in that scenario, or the turn if he wanted to be sure it was HU first.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:56 AM

i think villain will occasionally play 77, 99, TT, and even JJ like this sometimes.

i think it's an easy (ok, not easy, but i'd probably do it first and think about it later) bet and fold on the river...

as you played it, i'd call. i think you're good 1 in 8 here, but it's probably close.