Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you recommend for a clear, concise hold 'em book for beginners.
Sklansky's Hold 'Em Poker 14 21.21%
Jones's Winning Low-Limit Hold 'Em 49 74.24%
something else 3 4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2004, 09:38 PM

Default UB Too Tight

I am used to Pacific Poker where you can mint money. Now at UB b/c of the huge bonus through pokerlistings.com. However, the players here are so much tighter it seems hard to squeeze a nickel out of 'em. I play very tight (VP$IP= 14.5%) so when I have hit a hand it is hard to get paid.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-21-2004, 09:48 PM

Default Re: UB Too Tight

What stakes do you play?

-b
Old 07-21-2004, 09:57 PM

I play quite a bit of UB and I definitely think it's tighter than other sites. This, of course, doesn't mean that the players there are any good, you'll still see plenty of people seeing the flops with Ax, Kx, Qx, any two suited cards, and any connectors. The biggest difference that I've noticed is that people will generally bail out of the flop if they miss it (unlike other places where people will just call with anything). Semi-bluffing (or just straight bluffing) is actually pretty effective at UB (I play .25/.50), I've taken down many-a-pot on the flop, turn, and/or river with nothing because of a single bet. UB isnt' for everyone, but I rather enjoy the low variance and most of the people who play there.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:58 PM

Sorry I play at .50/1.00
Old 07-21-2004, 10:10 PM

I have no experience with .50/1 at UB, other than railbirding, but I think Aviston is pretty spot-on in his characterization of .25/.50 . The average player may be a little tighter than at other sites (again, I have limited experience) but it's certainly not a good tight. The "when in doubt, bet" mantra is generally a good one against most players I've faced, as it's not difficult to watch a table for two or three orbits and spot a number of one-bet-folders.

-b
Old 07-21-2004, 10:42 PM

I have observed this at $1/2 and $.5/1 10max and 6max. The opponents seem to be tougher than what others describe experiencing on Party, etc.
bk
Old 07-21-2004, 10:51 PM

I haven't played UB, but sometimes for a change of pace I play tables on .5/1 Party with the lowest pot size instead of the highest pot size. At those tables, you'll sometimes see a preflop check around the whole table with the SB folding. It's an abomination of all Party Poker holds dear! You can mix up your play and steal blinds from middle position with marginal hands (ATo, etc.), agressively semibluff and not have to see a showdown, etc. Plus when the players raise or bet, you can actually give it some respect. I've won a few bucks at those tables, but they give me appreciation for the bad beats I suffer at the huge-pot, ultra-fishy, chicken-of-the-sea tables.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:18 AM

Tight games are good for a winning player to get accustomed to the style he will need to beat mid limits or higher online and 20/40 or higher live. These games are useless at any level below 5/10 short for making money though(unless you multitable) even then it may not be worth it as the tilt factor can be enormous on bad days...... Go back to Pacific and kick ass at their retardo 5/10 games......