Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Peeling one off?

As I move up in limits, I'm trying to improve my game as much as possible (obviously) and I'm attempting to iron out some unprofitable flaws in my game. At this point, I'm examining peeling one off with overcards. Here's an example:

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>

MP2 bets, BB calls, and Hero ??

I know some of you might disagree with the open limp in EP, but that's not my concern.

I'd say about 90% I don't take a card off with overcards. Is this a mistake? How often do you a call a seemingly harmless board with overs? My concern is that I pick up a draw on the turn, and am stuck for a big bet on the turn. What's the general consensus about this?
Old 05-01-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Peeling one off?

with the two runner draw I don't mind taking one off here.....I'd get aggressive with any helpful card on teh turn though since there is little reason to think anyone has anything.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:11 PM

I assume you edited the hand to delete the BB and Hero flop checks?

I would peel one off. If you hit a Jack you are likely good. Even a Q probably has +EV. For 7:1 you also have the backdoor flush and straight draws, if you're closing the betting then call. At the turn you can play the pot odds because you are likely drawing fairly clean (ie if you hit a straight or flush it will win) to big hands, and can call down any J or Q top pair. Fold unimproved.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:30 PM

Sorry. Converter deleted flop action. I wrote it in, but forgot to include the checks. So yes, check, bet, call, call, with a few folds thrown in there.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:07 PM

there aren't many better than this particular hand if you don't want always to play weak-tight fit-or-fold poker, imo

you have 19 cards to a decent draw on the turn, six of which could well be outright winners, and this might be the perfect time to raise to try for a free card
Old 05-01-2005, 05:54 PM

He should strongly consider betting instead checking and calling IMO.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:28 PM

Default im drunk so this is nonsense

u got a few things good for u, u close the action, backdoor flushdraw and overs , lets take a peeeeek
Old 05-02-2005, 12:47 AM

I think this is a fold. There are only 5 small bets in the pot. You can count the backdoor straights and flushes as maybe an out and a half. Your Jacks and Queens are not full outs (someone may have flopped a set or have something like J9). I would count this situation as 5 outs (roughly 1 in 9) and there are only 5 small bets in the pot.

If your reads on your opponents tell you that you might be able to take it down on a later street with aggressive play, then a raise may be in order. I think a fold is the standard play here.

Sorry...got confused with the deleted action.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:31 AM

Keep in mind that the deciding factor here is probably the fact that you're closing the betting. If you have players to act after you, you might need to fold this one depending on your read.