Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Home Poker Game Payouts

Typically when I go to poker games, I go to play poker, not to eat. I abhor having to split the costs of things which I'm not going to consume (Soda, beer, or food) I mean, if you're not going to drink beer that you pay for, you don't question why it is you pay for it?

-Alpha
Old 08-20-2005, 04:41 PM

I consider it a social cost and a "throw a few bucks to build up a game" charge.

"I abhor having to split the costs of things which I'm not going to consume "

well, then you need to practice your generosity and charity... or at least learn to chill a bit ("abhor"?? pretty strong reaction). The idea is, invest a few dollars, get a lot more back from the eaters, right? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2005, 06:29 PM

I decided to make the payouts pretty friendly, we ended up having 26 people so I payed out 6 people like this..

1st-340
2nd-170
3rd-110
4th-80
5th-50
6th-30

I gave first a ton because for some reason everyone wanted first get paid substanstial more than the other places.

On a side note it ended up as this was all for nothing on the second hand I am dealt JJ and raise to 80 before the flop (we started with 1000 chips) and I get one caller. Flop comes J65 rainbow and the kid pushes 450 so I move all in and he calls and turns over 66...he thought it would be funny if he hit a 6 on the river and you know how the rest of the story goes from there. Thanks a lot for the help guys.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I decided to make the payouts pretty friendly, we ended up having 26 people so I payed out 6 people like this..

1st-340
2nd-170
3rd-110
4th-80
5th-50
6th-30

I gave first a ton

[/ QUOTE ]

43.5% isn't a "ton" for first. I think that 6th should be at least $40 (if you make the money, you should MAKE some money) but que sera sera
Old 08-22-2005, 04:05 AM

This has been discussed often here and you'll find two main schools of thought. Some prefer the top-heavy payout, and some prefer the flat payout. I prefer the latter. It's more "friendly", encourages the newbies, and, for any game that's close to regular, it favors the better players in the long run. I probably would have paid ten places (or more) if I were running that tourney, with the bottom five or six receiving less than $40.

The thing about home tournies (as opposed to the big ones on TV) is that they involve so much more chance simply because of the short time involved. The payout (and blind structure, for that matter) needs to be a function of what you want to achieve.