Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Fighting intimidation

Just a little background about myself - started as a limit grinder - 2/4 and then 3/6. Established a solid winrate multi-tabling. Played 20, then 30, then 50 sng's and had a solid ROI. But I gravitated towards multi's b/c I do this for fun, and I love them so much more. I have done well at the $50 and lower multis on Party and Stars, due mainly to a 2nd place in the 45K guaranteed on Stars and several other final tables.

Here is my problem: Since I have been playing multi's primarily for the last 6 months or so, I now recognize more and more of the top players. Also, on Stars, I pokerdb the players at my table, which helps me in evaluating the strength of the players. But, an unintended consequence is that I feel that this knowledge results in me becoming somewhat intimidated by my competitors.

For example, I was ITM in the 45K guaranteed last night on Stars, when I got switched to a table with some big players - guys with dozens of final tables and $100K in winnings on Stars according to pokerdb. Reflecting on my play, I feel like I played scared. Do you run into the same feeling? How do you deal with it/combat it?
Old 12-02-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Fighting intimidation

hmm, that never even crosses my mind, you're only as good as your last tournamen anyway.. really doesn't matter who's at my table, make your reads in a vaccuum and go with them
Old 12-02-2005, 05:01 PM

Seems to me you are focusing too much energy on the wrong thing. How are there recurring players playing TODAY? If you follow your line too far, then everyone unknown would never enter the WSOP as sooner or later they would lose to the TV pro - not for 3 years running!!

Maybe you should save your more sophisticated moves for these players and not try to run over them, but if they are short stacked, they are just as vulnerable as any other player in HOH's red zone.

Learn to play in the moment, which has little to do with last week . . .
Old 12-02-2005, 05:02 PM

the better players with those winnings are better players because they play their opponents (situationally of course) and not there cards. I recognize that and adjust accordingly. some of these guys have made it pretty deep because they recognize the tighties (which by playing scared you have now become) and pound them with large bets because they are not scared of going broke if they feel they have any edge and a decent amount of FE. Don't be intimidated, use it to your advantage.