Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Getting value for quad As

Quad aces. Sounds great doesn't it? But how do you extract any money with it?

I was playing a 1-2 online game. I was in the small blind with AA. Sweet so far. A loose passive player limped in from early mid position, as did a player I don't know in late mid position. I raised 6 more into a pot of 7, making it 5 for the limpers and big blind to call. The big blind folded and the limpers called. Now the pot has 23 chips in it. So far, so good.

The flop comes AA8 rainbow. I'm first to act. How do I get any money out of this? With my preflop raise and this flop, a bet is sure to fold my customers. I checked. So did they. OK, maybe the turn will give them something to catch up with.

It's ... a brick--a 3 in the 4th suit. I can't see anyone calling a bet by me here, but I don't expect that 3 is going to induce anyone to bet either. Where is Bluffalo Bill when you need him? I check. So does everyone else. Maybe the river can get someone excited.

It's another brick--a 6. There is no straight possible, no flush possible, and my opponents didn't pair any of their high cards. I tried checking again, hoping someone would try to pick up the pot, but no dice.

Does anyone think they can extract more from this hand?
Old 12-03-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Getting value for quad As

Other than maybe a $2-4 bet on the river, I'd say no.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:22 PM

The deck's crippled and you raised from LP with 2 limpers. If I'm a limper and there are 2 A's on the flop, I'm shutting down.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:26 PM

Make a standard CB on the flop. Any callers, check behind on the turn to induce a bluff, value bet/raise the river. When you check behind on this flop, it's obvious you have a monster.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:32 PM

yeah theres pretty much no way to get anything from that garbage board. you did the right thing; everybody else was afraid of the aces, and you played like you had nothing. although on the turn IMO i wouldve made an attempt to try to "buy the pot", hoping a small pair or a K wouldve called or raised.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
everybody else was afraid of the aces, and you played like you had atleast one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

The best way to make money here is IMO to bet the flop, if you raise from the blinds and then check AAx flop its fairly obvious to any decent player to know you have trips or better. If you want to fake weakness, bet flop and check turn. If they fold flop they didn't have anything anyway so you wouldn't have made anything unless they're SUPER agro
Old 12-03-2005, 03:49 PM

You got to bet the flop just like you would with KK-TT. Either someone wants to dance or they don't. Checking looks fishy and only the biggets of maniacs will bet after you check. Sometimes the best you are going to do is take down a small pot.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:56 PM

raise more pf. If villian is overly aggro then check to him. If villian is a calling station then bet.

its still doubtful that you are going to get more money in post flop, especially when you were the pf aggressor
Old 12-03-2005, 05:59 PM

Bet the flop, check the turn.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:18 PM

Just bet $10 on the river and hope someone makes a call. You're not getting anything out of this any other way.