Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-16-2005, 07:16 AM

Default Re: turn spot

Why not donk the flop and try to trap the limper?
Old 12-16-2005, 08:44 AM

Default Re: OK, [censored] SERIOUSLY...

it seems like if the turn gets capped and we improve on the river a bet/3bet has a lower chance of succeeding, since leading the river after a flop and turn cap should make a two pair or set pause for concern (even moreso with the running diamonds). but if we just call the turn and donk the river a lot of hands might think we're just trying to prevent a free showdown and raise for value.

edit: sorry i guess this was said already in so many words. but if calling the turn will increase the likelihood a bet/3bet succeeds on a diamond river then i vote for call.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:44 AM

I call.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:17 AM

I think I 3 bet here and if he caps... call down unless diamond comes off... then lead/3bet the river.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:43 AM

Hi BK,

I don't think that the villain's turn raise necessarily means he has something better than AK. This is based on my assumption that your cap on the flop does not mean that you must have 2-pair or a draw. I assume that you would be willing to cap the flop and lead the turn with any decent ace, as you want to prevent your opponent from constantly 3-betting the flop and checking behind the turn to showdown cheap(er). This play of course covers those times that you cap on a draw trying to make him muck a hand like QQ.

Therefore, I'd expect a good postflop player in a game this big to be willing to raise the turn w/ AK. In light of that, 3-betting your big made hand + draw is the way to go. You prevent him from showing down cheap, raise for value, and have tons of outs those few times that he actually has you beaten. Also of importance, you send a message that you are going to punish him severely any time he tries to get tricky with you. This will hopefully make him think twice about making moves in the future, whether he has a hand here or not.

There are other considerations as well, in particular the game theory point that you have to sometimes 3-bet with a less-than-3-bet-quality hand in order to keep your observant opponents from saving bets against you. This is as good a spot as any to make one of those more marginal 3-bets.

-Eric