Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Nervous!

Update!
I've now been playing for one hour ONLY playing by the book.
Down 25BB and was just beaten with 2 pairs AQ, guy got the flush on the river.
I think I'm just doomed and should be doing something else in life.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Update!
I've now been playing for one hour

[/ QUOTE ]

As others have pointed out, no one's results after one hour are even close to meaningful. Have patience and play solid poker. And, I'd be surprised if it wasnt mentioned yet, but read the FAQs - there's some good stuff in there.

Steve
Old 08-31-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Update!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can find the hand history, post it and lets see if you did anything wrong.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Update!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you may be right. Poker is not for everybody. If you're not having fun doing it, don't do it.

Also, don't worry so much about the results. Just make sure you're playing at the proper limits for the amount of money you have set aside to play poker.

Do you have the hand history for the AQ hand you mention? If so, post it (using the converter) and let us see what happened. It's entirely possible that you played it perfectly and just lost - it happens all the time. But it's also possible we can find a way to play it differently that might be enlightening.

If you should decide that poker isn't going to be for you and stop playing now, consider yourself lucky. Most players who should have stopped playing shortly after they started never did.

Regards,

T
Old 08-31-2005, 04:29 PM

I know one hours isn't even a sample [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I'm afraid I can't provide a hand since Expekt.com don't seem to have a way to save hands [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I don't fully remember what happened either.

I don't think I'll quit, I'm still having fun [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:00 PM

Future plan.

When I started I had $2. I played like a n00b and quickly gained $46 more. Now I'm down to 30-ish by playing somewhat better but far from good. Reading SSHE alot.

My plan now is to keep playing at this nano limit (.05/.10) untill I have $100. AFter I have $100 I'll spend $50 on PT and start to bonuswhoring with the other $50, still playing at the nanolimits.

Any flaws in that?
Old 08-31-2005, 05:10 PM

I think the way you presented the hand shows you still have a way to go in your thinking. Why did I say that? No pot size, no indication of the number of opponents, no preflop action, no opponent reads. I may play this situtation very differently depending on the situation. If the button has raised my blind every round tonight that was folded to him and then bet every flop, I am check raising here if the pot is heads up with him (and I would have called the raise preflop hoping to hit anything). If it is multiway for a limp, I am check folding to any bet. If it is 3 way with the button and small blind, I might bet if checked to. Keep reading and studying.

And there is no excuse for an inexperienced player that owns SSH to not play preflop by wrote exactly as the chart lays out. If you are inexperienced enough that you still feel nervous, at least this way you don't even have to think preflop, just read. As you begin to understand preflop hand values, maybe you won't need the charts anymore, but they are certainly excellent guidelines and much better than any system which has you playing K8s from EP [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 08-31-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So can I conclude that if I am feeling comfortable with the concepts presented in SSHE, then GSIH is probably not neccessary?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that is true, yes. It's an interesting book to check out just for the way it presents the information - quiet unique in poker literature, I think - but you probably won't get much from it. You could read it at the library in a couple hours, probably.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this assessment with one addition: if you ever decide to take up no-limit hold 'em based on your knowledge of limit, the NLHE material in GSIH is a great start.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:37 PM

Update!

2 hours later, I've had ONE playable hand and it was AA.
Flopped another A and 2 low cards.
Villian completes his flush on the river.

I'm telling you I'm doomed [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2005, 07:18 PM

If you can't describe the hands, we can't help you. And, I promise, we want to help you. Just playing an hour and then complaining about being sucked out on is not constructive.

Regards,

T