Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 10:27 AM

Default AKo passssssive. kinda

villian here if i remember correctly is a 23/12/1 or 2 type player. so fairly tight, and agressive. these types tend to be ok pre and post flop but not good and not bad overall, but can show times of being either good or bad

i get AKo in EP and raise. villian 3 bets i cap he calls.

flop is ugly, kinda. AQJ no flush draw. i bet he pauses briefly and calls.

turn is a blank. i check he checks behind.

river i bet.

-Barron
Old 08-31-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Re: AKo passssssive. kinda

Interesting hand. I like it up until the river, where I think a check/call is the better line.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
villian here if i remember correctly is a 23/12/1 or 2 type player. so fairly tight, and agressive. these types tend to be ok pre and post flop but not good and not bad overall, but can show times of being either good or bad

i get AKo in EP and raise. villian 3 bets i cap he calls.

flop is ugly, kinda. AQJ no flush draw. i bet he pauses briefly and calls.

turn is a blank. i check he checks behind.

river i bet.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]
Please explain reasoning for turn check. I am really curious about your thought process here.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:43 AM

i check the turn because 1 i have outs to call, i may be ahead and he may be drawing nearly dead (5% or so) w/ something like 99/88. TT is the one hand i want to bet b/c he may call and its very profitable for me.

Barron
Old 08-31-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i check the turn because 1 i have outs to call, i may be ahead and he may be drawing nearly dead (5% or so) w/ something like 99/88. TT is the one hand i want to bet b/c he may call and its very profitable for me.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you played this hand very well.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting hand. I like it up until the river, where I think a check/call is the better line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit: I decided to add my reason... many good players will check that turn behind you with the nuts, or a very strong hand in order to get just that extra bet on the river. It may not seem to make sense at first glance, but often they realize or have decided that it's more likely you'll bet yourself and fold to a raise/bet than play back at them.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:20 PM

No good player has K10 there, and no good player that did would call with it on the flop.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:32 PM

Turn check is Ugly. No free cards for small pairs, worse ace, KK, etc.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:36 PM

hand ranges of villian's three-bet preflop real quick: AA-88/77ish? AK, AQ?

on flop, he only calls. would he slowplay AA/QQ/JJ? maybe, but i mean, it's such a scary broadway board, does he really want to give you an easy shot at a gutshot? does he float with TT/99/88/77? does he just call with AK? now THIS i can very much see. does he only call with AQ? maybe, but that's similar to slowplaying AA/QQ/JJ.

turn is a blank. if he has TT-77, he's probably folding to a bet, so that has no value (there's not really much to protect against those). if he has AA/QQ/JJ, you're probably getting raised here, and folding here is obviously correct. if he has AK, he MIGHT fold this turn, no? at the worst, he calls and you can probably check/call the river. if he has AQ, similar to a set, he's probably raising, but he might fear a set also and just call.

overall, if you think he three-bets 77/88 here and maybe worse, i like the turn check more. but the tighter his three-betting range, the more and more i like bet/folding the turn and check/calling the river if he calls.

aseem
Old 08-31-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No good player has K10 there, and no good player that did would call with it on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think YOU know enough about poker to post. Scamming people for money and then losing it on 2c/4c.

Beware of this guy!