Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 03:11 AM

Default Trouble finding a profitable game...

Ive been playing online poker for almost a year now.. When i first started playing it was easy to find a game with big pot avg. Playing 1/2 I would play tables where pots got as big as $50 dollars... For the past 3 months or so i never find these profitable tables... I now play on party, full tilt, and poker stars and whenever i get in a 2/4 table , the avg is about 10... No way anyone can make any money at this pace...
Im beginning to think small stakes full table limit games are unprofitable...

I had to switch to shorthanded limit and NL to win money.... Anyone have the same frustrations?
Old 04-01-2005, 03:14 AM

Default Re: Trouble finding a profitable game...

[ QUOTE ]
I now play on party, full tilt, and poker stars and whenever i get in a 2/4 table , the avg is about 10

[/ QUOTE ]

By party do you mean party poker? THE party poker? I've noticed sometimes it seems tighter than the past but nothing in any way nowhere near not even close or remotely resembling anything like the situation you've highlighted above.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:20 AM

I play on PS. Not "unprofitable." Tough at times, but you need to keep adjusting your style of play to fit conditions especially when the tables get very tighty.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:28 AM

Yes party poker... they have the biggest pots out of the 3 but its nothing like it used to be 6 months ago... And ive adjusted my play but winning 10 dollars after 3 hrs of play doesnt seem like much progress....
Old 04-01-2005, 03:55 AM

2 words "TRUE POKER"
Old 04-01-2005, 10:38 AM

I just recently started playing $2/4 at Party and the pot averages have certainly not been $10 average. That said, you can't go solely on Party's calculation of the average pot size; this stat probably lags the true value and if there is a large waiting list, it is probably half TAGs that will kill the average pot size by the time you sit down.

My strategy for selecting tables at $2/4 is first to check and see where my "buddies" are playing. If they're not around (or if there aren't 4 good tables with buddies), then I sort by average pot size and look for one near the top with a fairly short waiting list (like maybe 6 vs. 15+ for the hotly contested tables). That way, I get to playing more quickly and there are likely to be fewer good players ahead of me in the queue, and I haven't given up much in terms of average pot size.

Another tip I can give you is to spend some time at Party $1/2 full and learn to make a good profit at a table of weakt-tight nits [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ive been playing online poker for almost a year now.. When i first started playing it was easy to find a game with big pot avg. Playing 1/2 I would play tables where pots got as big as $50 dollars... For the past 3 months or so i never find these profitable tables... I now play on party, full tilt, and poker stars and whenever i get in a 2/4 table , the avg is about 10... No way anyone can make any money at this pace...
Im beginning to think small stakes full table limit games are unprofitable...

I had to switch to shorthanded limit and NL to win money.... Anyone have the same frustrations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, shorthanded limit is awful. Noone should play it, there's absolutely NO money in it! Just a total rock garden!
Old 04-01-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, shorthanded limit is awful. Noone should play it, there's absolutely NO money in it! Just a total rock garden!

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL! You sly dog, you, trying to keep people away from your cash cow [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I played a bit of $1/2 6max while clearing BONUSMAR, and though I was down 25 BB for the session, I can definitely see why people like it so much.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:34 AM

You need better table selection.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:05 PM

You'll become a better poker player if look at more than average pot size to determine game quality. I've been donking around 2/4 and 3/6 recently and those 10 BB and less tables are all soundly beatable.