Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Important Hand if you play Nl $1,000

[ QUOTE ]
Why wouldn't you also possibly put a blocker bet here hoping to get raised if you had a boat? is that a bad line?

[/ QUOTE ]

i like check-raise better then block-reraise.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:09 PM

Kane-

Nice bet but I would think differently if I had the nut flush and would not fold.

On the river, I would think that if you had a boat, you would have bet less if you wanted a call. Here is the reasonining:

When making the bet you cannot assume that either the BB or button has the nut flush which is the only hand that could possibly call your bet. If either BB or button have less than the nut flush they would probably fold to an all-in bet and I would think that you know that. Therefore, if I'm in the hand with the nut flush, you have to be trying to push me out.

If I had the nut flush, I would think that a boat would bet smaller to make sure that I didn't fold.

The problem here (btw, I do not play 1k but have played the 400 and 600), is that MANY players make this bluff and show less than what you have or show the K high flush with the belief that it is unlikely that another player has the Ace high flush. With the nut flush, I call and think I just have to take the beating if you have the boat.

BTW, I'm not critiquing your play. I think if your read is that solid on a player you are a very good player. There are so few players who would lay that hand down that you have to be sure A LOT of the time to make your play correct.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Textbook?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can I purchase a copy of this?
Old 03-18-2005, 06:42 PM

I'd say this is a terrible river bet. You're not getting called by anything that you beat and a heart that pairs the board is the ultimate scare card. So, if somebody has you beat they'll call-why not check call the river instead? You're more likely to get money in the pot by a worse hand, and it's no worse than your previous line in regard to losing your stack if you're beat. The only benefit I see from betting so hard on the river is bluffing off somebody with a flush who is worried about the house, but I doubt that will happen often enough to justify the play.
Edit: I now see you don't check call because you think you're behind and you're putting a move on the pot. In that case, risking 1100 to win 479 can hardly be worth it-you have to be far too sure that you're not running into a house or that a flush will fold here to justify the risk.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:51 AM

Damn!! I don't believe the guy laid down the nut flush. If the small blind had 77 88 or 99 wouldn't they raise if there was just one limper on the button? The all in bet at the end seems crazy to me, but I'm just learning.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:28 AM

What's important besides your horrible play on river and your weak bet on turn ?