Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Bankroll Question

I've got $500 in my Party account. What limits do you think I'm bankrolled for?

Seems like I should stick to $1/$2 limit, or the $25 NL tables. However, the $2/$4 and $50 NL tables tempt me, but I'm probably underolled.

What is the general standard for picking a limit (not accounting for skill level, just cash) - 20 buyins for NL and 300bb's for limit?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Bankroll Question

Ideally in limit poker, you want to sit down at each table with around 25BB and have a bankroll of 300-500 BB. The more is better. If you're trying to play 2/4 with a $500 bankroll, one bad run could cripple you. Even $500 is a little small for 1/2, but it's not horrible. I'd get some 1/2 action in first, and if you can show a winning rate, move up to 2/4 when you get to about $1200 or even more. I do not know much about NL bankrolls. You may want to post there to see what they have to say.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've got $500 in my Party account. What limits do you think I'm bankrolled for?

Seems like I should stick to $1/$2 limit, or the $25 NL tables. However, the $2/$4 and $50 NL tables tempt me, but I'm probably underolled.

What is the general standard for picking a limit (not accounting for skill level, just cash) - 20 buyins for NL and 300bb's for limit?

Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is $500 your total poker bankroll, or just the amount you've got on Party? Consider your total bankroll when deciding what level to play.

On the limit side, if you're any good at poker you're easily bankrolled for Party's 1/2 or even 1/2 6-max. 2/4 is slightly tougher, but again you should be okay...if you choose your table well.

I wouldn't really recommend 2/4...but if you've got the skills, 125 BB should be okay.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:13 PM

you can search for lots of great answers to this exact question, as it has been asked many times before.

edit: damn I thought I was in the sssh forum, although I still stand by my answer.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:24 PM

10 buy-ins is probably good to play the $50NL if your a strong player. Chances you are not that strong of a player since you have to ask this question.

I would say play 0.5/1 or $25NL.

If your really confident in your game you can get away with 1/2 or $50NL for the bankroll. You are technically "underrolled" though.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't really recommend 2/4...but if you've got the skills, 125 BB should be okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sitting with 125 BB at any limit is a recipe for diaster.

To the OP: you should have at least 300 BB but if it's your first time at a new limit or you depend on poker for income or anything special I would suggest 500 BB. This question has been asked multiple times before, their are 2+2 publications discussing this issue, etc. Please search those sources.
Closed Thread