Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 10-31-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Live - Do You Let This Go Facing Flop Raise?

Live - $2-$5 Spread Limit.

Villian hasn't done anything too suspicious yet. Seems pretty solid post-flop, but definitely not aggressive pre-flop...calls only one raise with KK, I've seen him limp with QQ....

Hero is in late position with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Everyone folds to Hero, who calls $2 blind, villain is button and limps, single blind of $2 checks option.

Flop:

Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Blind checks, Hero bets $5, Villain raises to $10, blind folds,

Hero............

Do you let this go right here, or call $5 and hope to peel a Q or J on the turn?
Old 10-31-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Live - Do You Let This Go Facing Flop Raise?

I let this one go. As far as you know Villian is a solid player and your hand is all ready chasing with a weak kicker. It is quite possible Villian wants to make blind money, I do this when cards are crappy, but again you don't know yet if this is a tool of Villian's or not.

The fact you are in a spread limit game makes it a little easier. Spread limit is very good for better players to suck that last chip off of weaker players. That doesn't make folding here correct of course, just cheaper if you allow others to play table police on their dime and you reap the benefits for free.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:18 PM

open limping here should be a crime.

definitely fold to the flop raise against this guy
Old 10-31-2005, 01:22 PM

Uh....

Raise preflop, and 3 bet the flop. How loose is he preflop? Why can't he have q10-q6 here? You also have backdoor hearts, but I can't imagine just folding here, your reads aren't sufficient to just drop tpgk in this spot.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uh....

Raise preflop, and 3 bet the flop. How loose is he preflop? Why can't he have q10-q6 here? You also have backdoor hearts, but I can't imagine just folding here, your reads aren't sufficient to just drop tpgk in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This does not seem like an easy pre-flop raise. I'm OOP against the best player at the table (this doesn't say much, of course, but he is solid post-flop as stated in OP). Also, as I stated, villain is passive pre-flop, thus raising in an attempt to better define villain's hand does nothing here. He would merely cold-call my raise with anything from QQ-KK, and other hands that I could be completely dominated against, AQ etc. Hence, the open limp.....thoughts?

3 bet the flop? This just seems like spewing chips against a solid-aggro post-flop player, as described in OP. His flop raise to me sounds like TPTK or two pair. I don't think he'll raise a set here with the blind still to act.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This does not seem like an easy pre-flop raise. I'm OOP against the best player at the table

[/ QUOTE ]

All the more reason to raise pre-flop. He hasn't entered the pot yet, and is less likely to do so against a raise with small pocket pairs and even KQo and KJo which would be good for you.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Uh....

[/ QUOTE ]

This does not seem like an easy pre-flop raise. I'm OOP against the best player at the table (this doesn't say much, of course, but he is solid post-flop as stated in OP). Also, as I stated, villain is passive pre-flop, thus raising in an attempt to better define villain's hand does nothing here. He would merely cold-call my raise with anything from QQ-KK, and other hands that I could be completely dominated against, AQ etc. Hence, the open limp.....thoughts?

3 bet the flop? This just seems like spewing chips against a solid-aggro post-flop player, as described in OP. His flop raise to me sounds like TPTK or two pair. I don't think he'll raise a set here with the blind still to act.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still, it's an easy raise preflop. Don't open limp from late position.

If you say he could have 2 pair here, he is obviously not very tight preflop, which reinforces my idea of a raise. You are beating a lot of hands here. If he caps the betting then you can check fold the turn. If he just calls, you can maintain the betting lead and hopefully he doesn't have one of the two combinations that has you outkicked.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:00 PM

What about calling the flop and betting a good turn? You don't think he could have AK(s), TT, JJ, QT(s), Q9s, 76s-54s?
Old 10-31-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about calling the flop and betting a good turn? You don't think he could have AK(s), TT, JJ, QT(s), Q9s, 76s-54s?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would 3 bet against all of those hands.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:48 PM

everyone folds to you? and you call?

booooooo.

and you're considering not peeling?

booooooo.

on the other hand, spread limit is fun.