Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 03:05 AM

Default Re: Value of positions in football?

The only problem with your reasoning when it comes to CBs is that it fails to take into account the the interdependance of the different components that make up a defense. You are right, that if a team has a weak dline and weak linebackers, then it is gonna need amazing corners. Alternatively though, if a team has weak corners, it can be made up for by defensive ends that can put more pressure on the QB or on lineman and line backers that can stop the run alowing the safteys to help in pass coverage and so on...
Old 11-16-2005, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
punter who can do kickoffs > kicker

[/ QUOTE ]

spoken like someone who had been watching Paul Edinger kick off in recent years.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:48 AM

Here is an argument for RB: The Broncos.

Plug in any RB off the street, you get a 1,200 yard runner and a playoff team.

Plug in Terrell Davis, you get 2,000 yards and 2 superbowls.

And the talk about how a WR needs a quarterback, please. Look at how much better the Eagles' offense was with a healthy TO. A good WR makes a QB/offense look better than the other way around.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is an argument for RB: The Broncos.

Plug in any RB off the street, you get a 1,200 yard runner and a playoff team.

Plug in Terrell Davis, you get 2,000 yards and 2 superbowls.

[/ QUOTE ]

errm, there is one pretty big difference between the Super Bowl Broncos teams and the teams since.

the Broncos are actually a clear example of how unimportant RB can be. their 5 o lineman/schemes have been so good that the RB hasn't mattered that much.

[ QUOTE ]
And the talk about how a WR needs a quarterback, please. Look at how much better the Eagles' offense was with a healthy TO. A good WR makes a QB/offense look better than the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you honestly think that a WR is most important than a QB, then you're crazy.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the Broncos are actually a clear example of how unimportant RB can be. their 5 o lineman/schemes have been so good that the RB hasn't mattered that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed my point. They change RB so often that you can guage what effect a good RB has by being in their system.

By putting T.Davis into their system, you squeezed an extra 800 yards out of their o-line.

Bad RB: 1000-1200 yards (Anderson, Gary)
Passable RB: 1500 yards (Portis)
Good RB: 2000 yards (Davis)

It's hard to know what % of a RB's yards is the RB, and what % is the o-line. Is Shaun Alexander good because he's good, or because Walter Jones is good? Of course it's both, but it's hard to know what the breakdown is.

With TD, you can see exactly what the breakdown is. TD is worth an extra 500 yards over Clinton Portis, a guy who is considered a top echelon RB (but really isn't).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I don't. I've already posted exactly what I feel the rankings are. I'm not sure how you got this idea.

I'm simply saying that WR, like the other skill positions (RB, CB) are crucial to a team's success.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed my point. They change RB so often that you can guage what effect a good RB has by being in their system.

By putting T.Davis into their system, you squeezed an extra 800 yards out of their o-line.

Bad RB: 1000-1200 yards (Anderson, Gary)
Passable RB: 1500 yards (Portis)
Good RB: 2000 yards (Davis)

It's hard to know what % of a RB's yards is the RB, and what % is the o-line. Is Shaun Alexander good because he's good, or because Walter Jones is good? Of course it's both, but it's hard to know what the breakdown is.

With TD, you can see exactly what the breakdown is. TD is worth an extra 500 yards over Clinton Portis, a guy who is considered a top echelon RB (but really isn't).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I don't. I've already posted exactly what I feel the rankings are. I'm not sure how you got this idea.

I'm simply saying that WR, like the other skill positions (RB, CB) are crucial to a team's success.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was referring to John Elway playing in TD's heyday, and not playing after. they basically retired the same season, which was a big factor in TD's success (having a historically great QB behind him).
Old 11-16-2005, 08:58 PM

1) QB
2) Stud Pass rusher (DE or OLB in the 3-4)
3) LT
4) RB
5) Stud TE (think Gates or Tony G in prime) Otherwise TE goes way down if they aren't a stud. Look at the points SD and KC can put up w/ the passing game w/out good WR's

Defensive positions can rank all over the place depending on the scheme you want to run. But EVERY defense needs a way to rush the passer. And being able to rush the passer w/ 4 guys is a HUGE advantage to any defense
Old 11-16-2005, 09:12 PM

Um, if you give Clinton Portis 392 carries in either 2003 or 2002, I'm sure you'll get him 2008 yards.

As it is, Clinton Portis's 2002 and 2003 were higher rushing averages than TD's 2008 yard season.

Oh, Mike Anderson also rushed for roughly 1500 yards.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was referring to John Elway playing in TD's heyday, and not playing after. they basically retired the same season, which was a big factor in TD's success (having a historically great QB behind him).

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew what you were getting at.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:03 PM

funny, I place my prop bets (for the most part) based on returning/departing offensive and defensive linemen.