Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: results

"a local who said around here when a guy says "i missed" or "king-high" you're supposed to just show your hand"

lol "around here". that's pretty funny. like it's a friendly 10-20 game or something?
Old 11-09-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he disgustingly turned over King ten of hearts

[/ QUOTE ]
haha, this mustve been farha.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:39 PM

Bike,

I don't play this high, but I was wondering what you think his logic might have been for the pre-flop cold call and flop call.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: 150/300 bellagio hand

[ QUOTE ]
This whole folding for 1 more bet stuff in this type of hand is non-sense.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-09-2005, 05:42 PM

Well I'm not Tommy Angelo but I'll give you my take, as this has happened to me a few times in the past (and coincidentally always against regular/decent players; it must be that bad players don't really mind showing).

For example, I check/call a Foxwoods regular down the whole way, and on the river he says "I think you got me" and waits for me to show. I wait just like you did. He then says "I only have sevens." I then announce my hand without showing it, i.e. "I have two pair." It's now up to him to believe me and muck (I won't show) or show his hand and then I'll show mine. In this one case, he showed, I showed, he got mad, I said "you play here 6 days a week you know the rules, I'm not trying to de a dick I just don't want to show my hand if I can't see yours" and everything was fine.

You're absolutely right, against a weak player I wouldn't do this but against a good player there is absolutely no reason to show your hand if he won't show his according to the rules of the showdown. Personally I don't care if it's some stupid "local custom among the regulars."

- Jags
Old 11-09-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He was pissed and I got scolded pretty bad by a local who said around here when a guy says "i missed" or "king-high" you're supposed to just show your hand and drag the pot and it's very rude to do what I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is more rude to chime in when you are not involved in a pot. Also, you called his ass, so make him show. Isn't this basics poker?
Old 11-09-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I was wondering what you think his logic might have been for the pre-flop cold call

[/ QUOTE ]
he is loose as fvck.
[ QUOTE ]
flop call.

[/ QUOTE ]
he was planning to bluff on the turn, make a K/BDflush and win, etc.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:36 PM

"I'm curious how people like Tommy Angelo handle situations like this."

I do not sit silently and wait in these situations. I either show my hand immediately, or I say "How bad?" or "Me too."

If the pot is headsup and he bets the river and I call, or if we both check and he is first to show, and he says, "I missed," or he taps the table, or he indicates in any way that he either just got caught bluffing or that he surely expects to lose ...

1) If I have ace-high or better, I show my hand.

2) If I have king-high or worse ...

a) If he says "I missed," then I say either, "How bad?" or "Me too," and then I wait for him to show.
b) If he says, "King-high," when I have king-high, or he says "Queen-high" when I have queen-high, or he says "jack-high" when I have jack-high, etc, and I have the best possible kicker (meaning I have KQ or QJ or J10 etc), then I show my hand immediately. If I have a less-than-best kicker, then I say, "Me too," and I wait for him to show.

3) Anytime he verbally declares a hand that I can beat or tie, I show my hand.

The overriding ethic behind my behavior in these situations is that I never say or do anything that could be even remotely construed after the fact as jerking someone off.

There are some exceptional situations in which I might stray from the above guidelines, but not many, and not often.

I do not think my way is any better or worse than what you did.

Tommy
Old 11-09-2005, 08:22 PM

FWIW, I do what Tommy does.

Doing what Bike did, while perfectly legit and technically correct, leads to a hostile playing environment. I prefer not to play in tension-filled poker games. Here, i would show my hand when he says "King high" and if he thinks he pulled a fast one on me by not having to show his hand even though I was the one who called his bet, well let him enjoy his moment.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:29 PM

If the guy is not specific, I'll wait until he either shows or is specific. (e.g., if he says, "I missed," or "one pair," I'll wait if it's unclear who has won; if he says "one pair" and I have the best one pair, I'll show). If he's specific, such as what your guy did, "King high," I'll show my winning hand.

I make specific exceptions for guys who are fond of saying "I missed," meaning their flush and then, when you show your hand, show you a straight. But short of knowing my opponent is a jerk, I try not to be one.