Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Re: How did you deal with life after college?

I feel the same way. I worked nonstop (part time day job, school, playing gigs) in college and never had time for anything. I've had a much better time since college.

I think the OP should get involved in some activities (sports, habitat for humanity, hashing, whatever).

--turnipmonster
Old 11-07-2005, 03:49 PM

It sounds like you guys who are miserable all went out and got jobs you don't like.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:46 PM

I don't know if I think that quarter life crisis thing is good. Generally when you have a problem like this or any depressed type thing you either a) go about solving it b) talk about it.

I would get out and try and meet new people, move, do
something nuts.

Use online sites to meet people, myspace, okcupid, yea it's corny and it's sometimes stupid, but it's an outlet to get a social life after you've graduated from your previous outlit.

Move: Maybe just take a couple months and try to live somewhere else? Personally I moved to Alaska for 3 months to take flying lessons, rented a place to finish that goal then made a decision to stay or move on. I moved on tried two more cities before staying where I am now.

Do something you wouldn't normally do. Take like some random course, sign up for some volunteer work, join some club. I took a random public speaking class when I was depressed earlier this year and it snapped me right out of it.

It sucks, but you sometimes just have to push through it and force something to happen.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:02 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
It sounds like you guys who are miserable all went out and got jobs you don't like.

[/ QUOTE ]

or didn't get jobs, or don't actually know what they like
Old 11-07-2005, 07:39 PM

Sympathies to you dude. I missed college so much, I never left. I still live in campus town for that very reason. Only occassionally am I the creepy 26 year old. I do find that 2 nights out a week is plenty for me now though.

You could move to a mid 20s type neighborhood (after you save some dough of course). In Illinois, many parts of the North side of Chicago are filled with people 25-35 and the scene is pretty cool.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:05 PM

For the first three years I just kept increasing my drug use. Then went to business school which saved two years. After that basically just gave up.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:25 PM

Move to Vegas or somewhere else with a social scene and lots of twenty somethings.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is what happened.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I am in the minority, but I have entered some pretty bad depression since graduating in May. I had a pretty active social life in school, and was always trying to have fun... plus obviously the girls were available.

Since school has ended, I've realized that my friends have moved to different parts of the country, my on again off again girlfriend has broken my heart yet again, I'm in a job that allows me to do nothing but think about how sad I am from the break up. I'm still living at home, as I am in debt to my parents for lawyer fees (another story), and I have to pay them back and THEN begin saving for a place.

All in all, [censored] ain't great, and there is nobody even at work that is my age who I could meet, no girls, nothing.

Has anybody else gone thru anything like this that could shed some light on what I should do? I feel like [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt the same way. I was depressed for quite sometime. As a minority myself, it was weird working with so few people of my ethnicity. I feel the best things to do are join groups, ABLE among others that include diversities. I feel the rest takes adjusting to. Now after nearly two years I am happy with my job. It is also nice to be financially independent. My best advice is give it some time and put a lot of effort into your carrer. I feel setting high career goals helps you get past. I dont think there will ever be another time like college, I was blessed to have it, now its my duty to work hard and return the favor to my children. Good luck.....
Old 11-08-2005, 12:43 AM

I felt the same way, until I moved out from home. Then everything turned around.... so MOVE OUT and HAVE FUN!