Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 01:17 PM

Default yikes that was effing nasty...

when i stopped for lunch today i was up 110BB, and then proceeded to drop 160BB over the next couple of hours of the afternoon. not particularly interesting but...

ive just had to stop for the day because it dawned on me that my play was clearly not at its best. this is pretty worrying because ive not even thought about tilt in a long long time - im not sure what it was about this particular session that flicked something in me, as i have had worse days without becomming (noticably) psycologically effected. i cant think of any external issues that might have been the cause either, ive been feeling especially calm and perfctly togther all week.

has anyone experianced anything simalar?
Old 11-03-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Re: yikes that was effing nasty...

Yes, we have all had bad downswings. Some of us admit that it effects our game. Stopping playing is a good thing at this point. I've dropped 240 bets in a day. Life goes on.

Krishan
Old 11-03-2005, 01:24 PM

nice copy/pasteing skills, congrats.

youve totally seemed to miss the point however.

this would actually be better in the psychology forum so if anyone could move it that would be good.

[edit] perhaps you were so eagre to misapply your little poem that in your haste you stoped reading 1/2 through my post?
Old 11-03-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a dim-witted post;
The kind that we all hate the most;
A jumble of stats,
Or downswinging “Rats!”
Like a virus in search of a host.

If you are a good, winning player,
As opposed to a chip-spewing brayer,
Get back to the felt,
Play the hands that you’re dealt,
And soon you’ll be doing OKer.

Take my advice, please, you unthinking clod,
In the form of this good-natured prod,
This won’t help your game,
But will get you flamed,
Stop posting this crap! Where’s the Mod?

Yes, we have all had bad downswings. Some of us admit that it effects our game. Stopping playing is a good thing at this point. I've dropped 240 bets in a day. Life goes on.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

NH, sir.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:30 PM

you're right about psych forum.

i dropped 150-200 bets over the last 5k. so i tighten up a little postflop for today's session. 1k hands, wtsd: 32%, w$sd: 35%. oof.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:30 PM

Hey axioma,

it's interesting to look at how/why we tilt. For me, making errors tilts me...I can get bad-beated all day long and be fine, but once I pull one bluff turn-c'r that gets 3bet by the nuts and I fly off the handle...it doesn't matter if the play was correct, I perceive it as incorrect and come down hard on myself. Interesting.

Aynway this is a question better suited for the psychology forum. Also, it will probably be received better if you don't put so much detail into the downswing part...just start with "so i was running bad today and I got tilty...." and focus on the emotional aspects. I'm moving this post to psychologoy for you.

Surf
Old 11-03-2005, 01:42 PM

well i purposely tried NOT to put any emphesis on the actual downswing because, frankly i couldnt give a damn about it. ive had much worse and not been effected.

i included numbers in case anyone thought it would be pertinant to the cause.

i was just quite surprised because i was sure my days of tilting were long gone, and then bang i suddenly find myself playing really baddly.

obviously i dont want that to happen again and so i thought id share and see if anyone else has had the same.

perhaps krishan would have prefered yet another terribly boring "what should i do on this river" post.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:55 PM

With myself, I find that the difference comes when I walk into a game with expectations.

Say I sit down just for the hell of it (I'm talking online) and play a game. If I get bad-beated, no big deal. If I sit down thinking "I'm playing great, this table should be easy, etc." I really think that changes the dynamic of a bad session. You're pissed, embarassed, on and on..."that shouldn't have happened!"

Food for thought.