Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Re: closing my office due to weather ---HAHA

Thank god I don't live in a southern state where people pull this [censored]. I would probably develop a serious case of road rage if people were driving 20 mph on the highway.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So they shutdown just because it was cold, or was there snow and ice to go with it? I can only remember that happening once here; My school was closed after an average snowfall but the temperature was -47C, and something like -70C with the windchill factor. I only wish I didn't wait for the bus for an hour that day.

[/ QUOTE ]

should have been more specific in my last post. it rained very lightly before nightfall. so there's concern of ice on the road. no snow.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:27 PM

Looks like the Northeast might get a little over 6 inches Friday morning. They're saying it's right during rush hour.

My work will remain open, but they will offer to put us up in hotels (less than 1 mile away if it's gonna get bad.)
Old 12-07-2005, 11:03 PM

Hmm, we've had 9 feet of snow in the last 2 weeks and the high today was around 5, I think. Schools were closed for one day during this time, I highly doubt any businesses were. Of course, this is Colorado, where these are just common occurrences in winter.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, we've had 9 feet of snow in the last 2 weeks and the high today was around 5, I think. Schools were closed for one day during this time, I highly doubt any businesses were. Of course, this is Colorado, where these are just common occurrences in winter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ice is still worse than snow, and I'm sure you know this.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd also like to add that THEY HAVE NO ROAD SALT. I remember when there was an ice storm in when I live in Houston. Everything shut down because there was a bunch of ice on the roads and no way to get rid of it.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd also like to add that THEY HAVE NO ROAD SALT. I remember when there was an ice storm in when I live in Houston. Everything shut down because there was a bunch of ice on the roads and no way to get rid of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have road salt, and a "special chemical to prevent freezing".
Old 12-08-2005, 02:57 AM

problem is that down there you guys don't have the equipment to deal with it -

here we have enough salt and snowplows to take us to the next budget crunch - (we never can buy enough for the whole winter cause it crosses two stupid fiscal years) - but the thing is we HAVE the means to clear the roads so folks can get to work.

sheeeitt - a bunch of neophytes in Austin driving on slick roads - I'd stay home too just to avoid getting hit.

RB
Old 12-08-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Follow Up

[ QUOTE ]
problem is that down there you guys don't have the equipment to deal with it -

here we have enough salt and snowplows to take us to the next budget crunch - (we never can buy enough for the whole winter cause it crosses two stupid fiscal years) - but the thing is we HAVE the means to clear the roads so folks can get to work.

sheeeitt - a bunch of neophytes in Austin driving on slick roads - I'd stay home too just to avoid getting hit.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Overnight, there was a bit of ice and freezing rain, especially on the northeast side of town, right where I live. Most of the schools in town shut down. UT shut down. Most businesses opened at 10am.

I left about 9:15, and the roads were not too bad, a few spots of ice here and there. I took one backroad, and saw a car that went off the side into a ditch. I had to try to stop on an icy stretch downhill before turning onto a busy road. That was the biggest trouble by far. The main roads were surprisingly worse than the residential roads. There was occasional icy patches, and everyone was driving 10 mph (and the occasional idiot goint 50). Took me 35 minutes where it normally takes me 10. I then got onto an even more major road (not quite a highway, but close to it), and noticed one stretch with 10 cars off the side of the road (right after a turn), including one upside down. The road was slightly slick, but as long as you didn't slam the breaks or rev the engine, you were fine. Overall, it took about 1.5 hours where it normally takes 20 minutes. The road crews poured sand on intersections, which seemed to have washed off in the spots it needed most. I didn't see salt anywhere.

The conditions were definitely not good, but nowhere in the top 10 worse conditions I've driven on. Using a slight amount of caution, and avoiding doing stupid things seems to get you through it. I have heard reports that I-35 is closed in several parts due to multi-car accidents. I find it hard to believe this happened because of anything other than driver stupidity.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

where i lived in north dakota they fortunately didnt use salt on the roads. i thought the general consesus was that it was unpopular. nice to have around on the roads but will eat the car from rust. the town used all sand.