Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 11:03 PM

Default .Re: How does \'poker\' reflect on a resume?

Don't list it as employment, simply list it under 'hobbies and interests'. Emphasize that you play within your bankroll, and it should be cool.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:28 AM

Default Re: How does \'poker\' reflect on a resume?

I think their is a problem with mentioning the poker.
If he beliees you failed at poker, he will think you are a degenerate gambler/idiot.
If he believes you are a winning player, he will think you get bored easily and won't last long.

I have no real career experience, this is just the way I kinda see it.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:22 AM

Hi Goblin,

Don't tell them anything about it. They'll understand that times were tough to find a new job. If pressed, tell them you needed a little time to clear your head and now you're rejuvenated and excited for a new challenge.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:38 AM

not good.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:24 AM

My buddy recently applied for jobs in the financial sector. He happened to make a final table at an WSOP event this year and so put that on his resume, and apparently, everybody loved it. He now works at a major i-Banking firm.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe this is the wrong forum but I don't care, I trust the opinions of more people here than any of the other non-strategy forums.

I'll keep this brief. I was laid off from my job six months ago. I've been gambling as my main source of income ever since.

Well, it's time to get a job again. In the interview, I have no problem explaining the gap in employment honestly. I wasn't ready to jump into another job right away so I took the summer off.

But what about the resume? The last thing I need is someone prejudging me based on their preconceived notions about gambling.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

this totally depends on the job to which you are applying as wella s the company and the job description (job function)

Barron
Old 12-01-2005, 01:05 PM

I do a fair amount of hiring in the IT consulting space. Since I make a fair side income playing poker and recognize it as a legitimate profession, I would probably be ok with it (although not in all cases).

The average employer, however, will probably view this negatively ... especially for a management position, or a customer-facing one ... and yours sounds like both. Reality is that a lot of "professional gamblers" do fit the stereotypes and have qualities that an employer would not value. And even when you explain your clear understanding of EV, I doubt this would change their mind.

You only have a 6 month gap in your resume. I've seen gaps of a year, and in some cases several years on a resume.

It's certainly reasonable that you decided to take this time to spend with your family, work on your house, and look around for the next opportunity that best fit your long-term needs. You don't need to address your source of income over this time at all.

As to the notion of "if they react negatively about poker then you wouldn't want to work there anyway" ... I think that's a bit cavalier and short-sighted.

So ... IMO ... there's no reason to mention it at all. Address the gap in your resume generically (some suggestions above) and you'll avoid some of the unfair biases that exist.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So ... IMO ... there's no reason to mention it at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

6 months is no biggie and lots/most people think a professional gambler = scumbag.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Moderator: Mat Sklansky, [censored], Commodus, Dynasty, astroglide - that's a number of candidates for 'mr sensitive'

once a thread is moved, little can be done about it. mat and got are the only people that can do something with it now since they're the nvg mods. also, threads can be moved with or without a 'link' in the original spot as well. obviously it was decided that it should be moved, but still deemed worthy of remaining 'present' in oot. it could have been thrown into nvg without any notice.

dealing with situations like this is annoying to say the least. if somebody gets called out specifically, they have 2 crappy choices: remain silent and receive undeserved criticism, or speak up and single a fellow mod out. i'll remain vague on the action taken in this thread. please understand what a [censored] situation it is.

there are no mods in oot that would ban you for disputing an action like this. don't you think calling somebody 'mr sensitive' is more likely to invoke someone's wrath if they're that type of person, though?

[/ QUOTE ]

Astro,

I don't know you, so I will not comment on your moderating decisions.

I was referring to Mr. Censored when I said 'Mr Sensitive.' It was a poke at his (most of the time necessary) quick banning trigger finger. If he (or any other mod doesn't like it), oh well. Erase it if you don't want it there.

As far as invoking someone's wrath... look at my history of posts and see if I make a worthy contribution to all of 2+2. If you don't think I do, I'll leave if asked to do so.

One last thing, I am not offended that this thread was moved, I stuck it in OOT to reach a specific audience. If that's unacceptable in the future, fine. I'll be sure to pay closer attention to where my threads belong, but when I have an inquiry about masturbation technique, or dope smoking or vomiting or which hot chick I'd like to bang most out of a bunch of equally hot chicks that I'll never see in person let alone ever have a chance to bang all the while 37 different people get off on different tangents and incoherently juvenile discussions about why one is a 7 and one is a 9 and why the 9 is not really a 9 and she is a 4 but the OP hasn't been laid in so long she seems like a 9...

I'll know EXACTLY where it belongs.

Cheers,

PG
Old 12-01-2005, 02:50 PM

Default THANKS....

Thanks for the advice. I have no problem telling an interviewer that I made money playing poker while I was out of work, but it appears that being on a resume is inappropriate in this instance.

Later

PG