Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: 2nd Hand of 15 +1 call this?

absolutely you should be betting the turn.

but since the turn was not bet I would fold to the all-in - your stack is too healthy not to wait for another chance.

of course that is what he may be thinking you will do, but you were outplayed - let it go.

- w
Old 08-23-2005, 10:35 PM

Well I should state at this point for information sake that he had 95o. SO your right I definately should of bet turn. Ironicaly enough, my check was to induce a bluff on river if I was in fact ahead. I figure this was the same as betting and being called on turn. Any thoughts on that?
Old 08-23-2005, 11:52 PM

I don't think that your hand was anywhere near good enough to try induce a bluff. There is simply so many cards that could potentially beat a single (not even top) pair. If you still had top pair on the turn then maybe (but still probably not). You needed to bet the turn in order to 1. gain information on whether he had a jack 2. not give a free card to a drawing hand 3. preferably take the pot down there and then with your tenuous holding.

That's not to say your play didn't work. I still think that the all in on the river will be either an outright bluff or a semi-bluff with a worse hand than yours enough times to warrant a call. So maybe your inducing a bluff play worked - good result, bad decision.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:01 AM

[ ] Read the FAQ
[ ] Use the Search Function
[ ] It's Just Variance
[ ] Your Sample Size is Too Small
[ ] This is a Bad Beat Post!
[X] You Might Suck
[ ] Party is Rigged
[ ] Pwn3d!
[ ] Push
[ ] Fold Preflop
[ ] Were you playing TX Holdem?

you clearly have to bet the turn to find out where you are.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:03 AM

Well I agree I misplayed the turn but I believe it was because I used a strong play in a bad spot. When I raised preflop and bet flop and he called both I started to think he might have been slow playing a monster. So if I bet the turn and raises then I have to fold to reraise even if reraise is a bluff, or a stand w a lessor hand. However if I check the turn,(risking giving a free card) I now show weakness with a hand I am either way ahead of or way behind. Inducing a bluff enough to offset the free card I give and ensuring a river showdown.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:43 PM

you overthought it on all levels. you gave a free card to a calling station that turned over 95o to beat you. keep it a bit more simple.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:20 PM

It was a case of ---> FPS
I think I was the villian on this hand. If you can verify your Roland on PS then I would be happy to give you my thoughts on this hand.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:32 PM

Roland, Was that me?

Anyway, I play the stars turbos (16s and 27s) and almost never raise ATs in level I, even when folded to me. (sometimes if its folded to button or sb). This is not the stage of the game where your $ is made. Drawing hands and weakish Aces can hurt you early. -EV for sure.

gotta lay this river down too. leaky from PF to river.

I would limp behind with AJ as well perhaps. Trust me, its players that get googly eyed over there suited and medium aces that are easy prey.

hope this helps

pooh
Old 08-24-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I should state at this point for information sake that he had 95o. SO your right I definately should of bet turn. Ironicaly enough, my check was to induce a bluff on river if I was in fact ahead. I figure this was the same as betting and being called on turn. Any thoughts on that?

[/ QUOTE ]

PF raise=bad
Flop bet=good
turn check=good
river call=bad

Ironically, i like the turn check cas I want to save up my stack for later in a situation less ambiguous. Ok, it turned out he was a donk or had you on AK (stupid in and of itself) and got lucky. But, the flat flop call indicates great strength. If this were later on, I'd love this flop obviously. But with 3 players in calling god know what PPs, I am a little hesitant after being cold called for 2/3 pot.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:41 PM

dont give a bad player credit for playing well. he has a hand here a lot. also, why get involved in a marginal situation with low blinds.
do you think you're better than your opponents? so why make calls like this when you can exploit big edges later.