Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 04:44 AM

Default Strategy on big 2 and chinese poker

If you want to skip reading a long post--the gist of it is I need strategy advice on Chinese Poker and Big 2 Poker.

--------------

I'm trying to branch out for fun and because I think I'm getting decent enough at hold em now that I can keep myself under control--which was a big damned problem for a while! I can do fairly well at all the "normal" poker games-- stud and omaha, hi and hi-lo, and triple draw and padooki. Not great, but I am making a little bit of money and learning fast.

So I heard a bit about Chinese poker and looked that up. Finally I found Superior Poker has that along with some other weird games, Big 2 included. And at the play money tables (not foolish enough to put in the real dough before I try it!) I am getting my ass handed to me on both. Now there's no rake on the play money, and I know it's not horrid luck that I am losing every time I play!

While I think Chinese poker has much much more luck to it, I still lose bit by bit--then bunches when I accidently make an invalid hand when I'm rushing. My strategy so far is just defense when i don't get great cards, and if I can likely win all three, that's great. Basically, my plan is win two at the expense of one if I can, and otherwise try and make hands that can cut my loses on two of the three--maybe beat one other player. But for the life of me, I still am losing at this!!! Help!!! I know there is the one book and software program (which i don't have) -- is that worth it? What is a good strategy for this game???

Now Big 2. I saw some kids playing this at the Tea shop that puts the tapioca balls in the drinks, on Spring Mtn. road. The rules are at

http://www.superiorpoker.com/thegames/big2.html

but if you don't know how to play, then it's probably too much to ask for strategy advice! I seem to never be able to get on the offensive and discard my hands--I keep getting screwed and then have 4 cards left and it sucks. Even if I have one or TWO dueces I jsut can't manage to keep from getting whooped.

I really think if I could get good at these two games that there'd be some definate profit potential online, and also at big tourney side games and events like BARGE, but right now I am getting my ass kicked. Anybody know how to win at these games? Please help!!!
Old 11-01-2005, 04:57 AM

Default Re: Strategy on big 2 and chinese poker

Pokerroom has Chinese poker games running usually, java client.

I wanted to buy that book on chinese poker (search this forum for the link I think) mainly as an intellectual excercise but dont have time to sharpen my blade in that game, my regular games need enough attention.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:06 AM

in high school i played a lot of big 2 for money (like 10 cents to a quarter a point). its a pretty straightforward game, though if you become "expert" at it (i have yet to see a really true expert in this game, myself included) i believe you'd have a significant edge over the long run.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:10 PM

I love playing big 2, and I believe I have basically complete knowledge of strategy, the only things im iffy on are trying to dump points or play cards as singles or pairs, etc when you arent sure if youll ever be able to play them... I wish this game was spread online more, I think im pretty good at it.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:03 AM

Oh dear god please help me at Big 2!!! I just cannot for the life of me get it. I keep trying to set it up so that nobody is able to beat my hands and then I can go out, but I ALWAYS am getting outplayed and [censored]. It's so frustrating. But it sure makes me know how HUGE of an edge a good player has. Please, teach me to win!!!!
Old 11-03-2005, 02:36 AM

The best book and software on Chinese poker is Smolens (sp) stuff avaiable at Conjelco. They cover most of the common varieties and are worth it, but new twists are constantly added to the game. Chinese poker games seem to come and go, but there are usually some good one during the WSOP, and other times they seem to happen when players are waiting for bigger games to make.

There have been some interesting threads on 2+2 on Big 2. You might want to search this forum or the "other gambling" for Big 2 or Big Deuce. There were also some good threads on RGP in the mid 90's; a google search might bring them up. (You might also try searching for "chinese" poker, which Big 2 used to be called.)

Playing the bar and restaurant games on Spring Mountain can serve as an entre to some interesting action.

edit: Tiger Gaming had both CP and Big 2, but they may have dried up.