Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re: sticky note on my monitor

Thank you for a good example, it helps to understand the concept of implied odds, when you're the one getting these odds. But could you please give an example of how giving the implied odds changes your play, when your opponents are the ones relying on the implied odds for their play?
Old 11-08-2005, 07:38 PM

Two pair is never the nuts.

I got all the guys at my home game saying this. It's like a mantra...

JunkHead
Old 11-08-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But could you please give an example of how giving the implied odds changes your play, when your opponents are the ones relying on the implied odds for their play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Suppose that you're playing a short stack of about 30 big blinds and you pick up aces in middle position. You may be tempted to smooth call to keep players in the pot, but in passive small-stakes games my understanding is this motive is usually a mistake. (Anyone disagree?) If I limp with 33 and a bigger stack, and you limp behind me with AA, I'm getting great implied odds to hit my set. If I don't hit a trey, I get out, but if I do hit one, you're likely to pay me off for 30 big bets.

So, you should raise preflop enough to make it incorrect for me to call with my dominated hand, although ideally you'd like me to call incorrectly. The math depends on a lot of variables -- how likely you are to pay me off, how likely i am to call with 33 on an 822 board, etc. -- but in short, by making me pay 3-4 BB for my draw, i don't have the odds even if i hit it (something like 7.5:1 to 10:1).

Therefore it's as important for you (in this example) not to offer me implied odds, just as much as it's important for me to take advantage if you offer them.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anything that I am missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you should post your login name and passwords to all your poker sites on your monitor. It is possible that Jesus Ferguson is hiding in your fridge and will hop out every now and then, play on your accounts and increase your net worth.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:11 PM

This is a joke? That's why I don't understand "Married with Children".