Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Check raise the flop with TPGK and a draw?

2-5 NLH 5 handed.

BB -- $450
UTG -- $638
Hero -- $605
Button -- $560

Only the second orbit, so no strong reads. No one seems wildly aggressive, etc.

Preflop

UTG limps. I limp in the CO with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Button raises to $25. BB and UTG call. I call as well.

Flop

J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks. UTG checks. I check. Button bets $60. BB and UTG fold. I raise to $200. Button calls.

Turn

Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I push.

What say you?
Old 02-11-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Check raise the flop with TPGK and a draw?

I'm assuming by "BB bets 60 and BB calls 200," that you meant Button.
I like it. I'm a big fan of the check/raise with this good of a hand. Not only will you push hands like AJ off, but you might even get a re-raise from a hand you want a re-raise from (AA-QQ) thinking that you're purely on a semi-bluff. The turn is bet is the only one that you can do. Any other bet PC's you (not that you wouldn't want to be PC'ed). It could be interpreted as a semi-bluff again, which is good because there's a chance a worse made hand (JT) will call you here. Well played.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:54 AM

Thanks. I fixed the original post.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:20 PM

Well-Played
Old 02-11-2005, 01:39 PM

Would anyone raise the flop more? After button bets $60 into a $100 pot, he only has to call $140 more. Seems like raising another 50 or 100 would substantially increase fold equity from QQ-AA.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:32 PM

i dont like it.

what was your plan if a 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] hit on the turn?
Old 02-11-2005, 03:30 PM

"i dont like it.

what was your plan if a 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] hit on the turn?"

Thanks. I was hoping to get some conflicting opinions because I am not at all certain that my line was optimal.

This is really a semibluff, as I don't expect to be ahead here more than 50% of the time. What to do when your semibluff is called and the next card is a brick is always tough, but it doesn't mean that you never give it a whirl.

I definitely did not want a call or reraise from AA, KK or AJ here, especially if Villain had a club in his hand. Moreover, if he doesn't fold one of those hands to the flop check raise, he probably has put me on a draw and is prepared to call if I push the turn on a brick.

The question here is whether my move has enough fold equity to make it worth it, keeping in mind that I have a lot of live outs if my hand is called. I'm just not sure.

In response to your specific question, if the turn bricks, I probably check and fold if he moves in. That being said, I was pretty certain that he had only one pair after he called the flop and I think that there was a decent chance that he would have made a mistake and given me a free card. But if he decides that I am on a draw, and he is feeling frisky, I am in trouble. No doubt.