Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 12:32 AM

Default 5-10 PL Hand against Tommy Angelo.

Tommy has around $800, I have around $600.

Two rounds into the game,

Tommy is UTG and open raises for $35. I'm in MP and call with the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. All fold.

Pot is $85

Flop comes J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Tommy leads $60. I call.

Pot $205

Turn comes a 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],

Tommy quickly checks, I check.

River comes A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Tommy bets $200, My move?

Lawrence
Old 02-11-2005, 12:42 AM

Default Re: 5-10 PL Hand against Tommy Angelo.

What range of hands do you give TA credit for open-raising UTG. AA - JJ, AKs - AQs, maybe AKo, that about right? Assuming he isn't opening with a random hand for shania purposes. That said, what range of hands do not bet the turn and do you lose to on the river? Only 1, AA, maybe two JJ. KK-QQ bet the turn I think, every other hand, i.e. AK, AQ, JJ, etc check. That being said, I think a river call is mandatory unless you have superb read that he hit a set. I think he makes the same bet with AK-AQ a good enough amount of time for this to be correct. Also, I don't think he's played much NL lately, so his play might be different.

If you said this was a hand that took place back when he used to post/play in the archives I'd be more worried then I currently am. Make any sense? Bottom line, I think you are good here too much of the time that you have to call barring a major read.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:54 AM

thats why you fold this hand in this spot before the flop unless you expect a whole bunch of hitchhikers coming along.
you may have gotten lucky and won but most times there will be a chip migration.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:06 AM

I think I've played at the same table as Tommy twice in my life -- once in 5-5 NL, one of the first times I ever played NL a couple of years back. Based on these two games, I doubt your hand is good. And if I were to ever in my life lay down top two on the board and with the action you described, then this time would be it. You're so toast.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:24 AM

Are you serious? I can only see two hands he's behind, the odds of which are slim. What do you read tommy for here? AA? For $200 I'll look him up, no?
Old 02-11-2005, 02:16 AM

when i first read the post i thought the question was between raising or calling. i dont see how folding is an option here, his hand has to be good only 1/3 times.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:25 AM

I assume Tommy does not open raise with 33/55/77 and I think that he would bet AA on the turn nearly all the time. I also think that he would bet JJ on the turn but could imagine him checking it. I think that it is MUCH more likely that he has AK or AQ here, in fact I have him squarely on AK. I think that you have to raise here as much as you think he will call. Because you only have 500 left (300 after the call) then the only raise that makes sense is a push. Put it in.

I would also not call with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] when Tommy openraises UTG, your hand is most likely dominated and he is not one to pay you off when you do hit.

-Steve
Old 02-11-2005, 02:30 AM

yeah I dont love the preflop call, but how is folding an option? I push if he shows me a better hand so be it, imo.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:33 AM

"Bottom line, I think you are good here too much of the time that you have to call barring a major read."

Top 2 pair I would move all in if it were me. If he has you beat he just has you beat.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:02 AM

Some people seem to be advocating a raise on the river. Given the way this player is being described, won't he only call a raise with something that beats you? It sounds like this player gets away from AQ/AK. So I don't see value in raising. If this player calls a raise with AQ/AK more often then he will call with a set, then raising seems fine...