Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 12:06 PM

Default NL hand - slowplay the nut flush?

The game is NL holdem with blinds of 5 and 10. Each player in the hand has about 1k in chips. You call in MP with Ad8d. There are 3 more limpers and the blinds check.
The flop is 6d 7d Jd. A solid player leads for a pot sized bet from the SB. The BB folds. The action is on you and the 3 players behind you don't play well.
Do you call or raise?

Is this a good situation for a slowplay?
Reasons why it is or is not?

Thanks
Old 02-10-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: NL hand - slowplay the nut flush?

Interesting and typical hand...I think this is a very good spot to take a chance and slow play a little. Raising would likely win you the pot right there which is not necessarily what you want. Your goal should be to suck in the bad players behind you. Just be aware, that the solid player probably has outs so if the board pairs, you can't stand that much heat.

I would wait until the turn to raise, but it will be interesting to see what others think
Old 02-10-2005, 12:59 PM

Flat call, see if you can get somebody behind who wants to play/raise. You can sometimes try and be deceptive and put the miniraise on it -- making it look like your trying to slow the better down, or try and trigger a bigger re-raise from somebody behind who may have flopped big too.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:31 PM

I raise. If you flat call and someone raises behind you, you reraising just screams your hand.

Another diamond will kill your action, the board pairing could kill you. If someone has a small flush you might get a lot of action on the flop, or a set might even try and protect their hand. Go for the kill.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:33 PM

didn't I just post this hand?
Old 02-10-2005, 03:34 PM

I think this is an easy smooth call. You want the people behind you to come in. I would probably smooth call the turn also.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:03 PM

"didn't I just post this hand?"

Ha. Your hand was very similar, but it didn't list the actual board cards on the flop. It also did not have a descriptive subject line. The overall idea is the same.

The other reason that I posted was becuase I had asked a few more questions on the thread and didn't get answers. Thus, I wanted to see more discussion of the subject, and posted a similar thread here and in 3 other places - Poker theory, low stakes NL, and recpoker.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise. If you flat call and someone raises behind you, you reraising just screams your hand.

Another diamond will kill your action, the board pairing could kill you. If someone has a small flush you might get a lot of action on the flop, or a set might even try and protect their hand. Go for the kill.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's right. No one's going to give you later action with hands they wouldn't have paid you off with on the flop. The problem is, later on, you might be second-best.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:01 PM

I like a min raise, it usually isn't enough to fold bad players and you might get a reraise. A smoooth call is OK too.