Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 07:19 PM

Default Quick question on this 5/5 hand...

Live 5/5 ten-handed....I have ~$1000 and cover everyone in the hand.....

I limp in MP with A5s.....3 more limpers, blinds check, we see the flop 6-handed ($30 in pot).....

I flop the nut flush.....good player (~$900) in SB leads for $35, BB folds, action is on me and all three of the players left to act behind me are bad.....

call or raise here?....
Old 02-09-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Quick question on this 5/5 hand...

Call.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:31 PM

IMO, Raising the nut flush in that spot will only shut out players you really want putting money in the pot. If the guy leading has also flopped a flush you will be more likely to bleed him for more money on the turn if he decides you or any of the other potential callers are drawing to the lone Ace and decides to lead the turn hard to charge the "draws". Also the larger the pot gets from overcalls the more likely you will be to get larger crying calls from a smaller flush later in the hand once you finally wake up. I think calling the flop, and then waking up on the turn (depending on flop action and turn card obviously) is the best way to proceed.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:04 PM

The only way you are making any money off this pot is if one of two things happen.

1) The guy has a flush and thinks you are drawing to one.

2) Someone else hits a flush with a K, and calls a decent bet.

Raising will kill both of those lines.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:05 PM

at first I thought about raising as you don't want the turn to pair but as I thought about it again, I realize that any set, 2 pair will probably call your raise anyways unless if you really overraise the flop.

Therefore I think call is better. but definitely get your money in on a non paired turn.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:44 PM

I used to think raising with TPTK on 2 flush flops was a good idea until I realized any flush draw would call my bet.

Therefor just call on the flop but get your money in on any non flush turn.

My point is, raise the flop, Small flush will probably reraise, a set could very well reraise, and you get your money in when you know you're a favourite.

Plus, you want to be able to steal from time to time, and raising the nuts helps that.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:37 PM

Raise. Not even close decision IMO.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:53 PM

Hi coltrane,

I say call, and it's not close. Fast-playing big hands is a great tactic at this limit, since many automatically slowplay a set or better, and assume everyone else does, too. But in this hand, you have a freakin' monster. I call, hoping some players come in behind me (it's just too beautiful a dream to hope someone behind you raises). I'll come alive on the turn, though, or on the flop, if someone else puts in a raise; my main concern in this hand is an action-killing 4th flush card.

You will be able to escape if the board pairs, and one of these jokers comes alive. Call and go for a multi-way pot.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:00 PM

This hand is interesting, I thought it was very simple to call.

On the other hand, do bad players call behind you here? Are you really luring more callers into this pot? Calling on a board like this shows a kind of strength, even bad players have to know their J-high flush draw might be no good... they may call this bet with TPGK or TPTK, if they're really bad. But if they flopped two pair or the K high draw, you can probably get them to call a raise, and if the SB re-raises, you can trap dead money in the pot if you push or even if you call.

What do you think SB would do if you raised in this spot and he was holding a set? I think that determines how to play this hand; I can't imagine the SB leading at this pot with only the K or Q high flush draw if he is any good, so he has to have a made hand of some kind. Therefore, calling and trapping hands behind you that are drawing to runner-runner boats might be nice, but they're probably done with the hand on the turn... and that extra $60 in the pot might not look so great if the board pairs. So if you just call, what's your line if the board pairs?
Old 02-10-2005, 01:45 AM

can you explain why?