Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 03:21 AM

Default Critique this hand please. I don\'t think I played it too well

I wasn't sure where to post it, so it's in both forums...$5-$5 NL. Biggest stack is about $22k, average of the other "normal" people is about $1500 and I have only nearly $800.
I just moved to the table, so this person probably doesn't know that I have a pretty tight image.

I'm in late w/ 3,5. The flop is Q,2,4 rainbow and there is $30 in the pot. I bet $20 and the person to my left makes it $50. She hasn't done much raising, but she does do some gambling. I don't get the feeling that she'd fold for a big raise. She hasn't folded many hands since I'd been there (1/2 hour or more). What's your play? Do you reraise or call? I had about $800 in front of me and she had me covered. I decided to just call. The turn was an A. I kind of put her on A,Q so I'm pretty happy. I check and she bets $50....WHY JUST FIFTY??? I thought she'd bet over $100. I make it $150 and she calls. I think I should have bet out. The river is a stupid 5. Now I have seen her pay off big bets in the past (she paid off a good sized raise of about 3x her bet on the flop-Q high- and a 1/2 pot sized bet on the river too) so I didn't plan on betting any less than $150. I had considered going all in for $600 or even betting $400 or more, but I just bet $200. She thought and kind of annoyingly called. I don't know what she had. How would you have played this hand on the flop, turn, river? I really don't think I played it too well.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Critique this hand please. I don\'t think I played it too well

You played it okay postflop, but what happened pre-flop? It was folded to you in LP, and you limped with 53? Why?
Old 02-11-2005, 03:35 AM

why are you ever in the pot in late position with 3-5, with 20 in the pot and someone to your left it means you limped with no one in the pot w/3-5?? umm moving on...you cant raise here when you know she wont fold, lead out the turn maybe? that 50 bet on the turn is very weird and then calling your raise, i would of probably made it 200 to go, about raising the pot, then bet out ~250-300 on river.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:38 AM

Default Typo has been changed

Typo...there was $30 in the pot, 2 early position players called. Thanks for the keen attention to detail from both of you.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:40 AM

if you play well postflop you can play almost any two cards in a unraised pot from late position, although it might has well have been from early position considering the only other person in the hand has position on you.

Checkraise the turn to at least 250, and then bet 400 or so on the river.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:49 AM

i understand and ill play any 2 suited connectors or 1 gaps in multiway cheap flops, but open limping in LP with these hands is just stupid.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:53 AM

Default lead the turn

I don't like the check on the turn. I would make a big bet, about 200 to 250 on the turn, representing the Ace.
I would get the rest in on the river if it wasn't raised back on the turn. I don't generally like check raising bad players as a rule it can encourage them to play better and may be offensive. The other problem with going for a check raise is that she might check behind you.

If you do decide to check raise on the turn, you might want to make it 200 to 250 as some of the other posters suggested, or maybe even all in depending on what you think she would call.

Old 02-11-2005, 05:24 AM

I think 5/5 is mid stakes, posting here is fine.

Pf, Obviously this hand is very -EV even the best postflop players will have trouble making money with this hand but thats not really the krux of your question so

Flop- good bet, obviously call her raise.

Turn- with the A on the turn I would accept the fact that she is probably not going to go far with a hand like KQ but if she has AQ or a set then you can get paid off well. Therefore the goal from here on should be to maximise the payoff when she does have a big hand. I would DEFINITELY lead out here, if she has AQ or a set you want to be able to get your whole stack in so you want to build a big pot. I would lead for 125 and if she raised I would call and push the river 1/2 the time and raise all in the other 1/2. If she just called the bet I would bet 400 on the river.

River - Your check-raise really gave away the stregnth of your hand (this is the reason for betting out because she probably now has you on 2 pair or better whereas if you lead out she would have to include AK in your range of hands. Given the action so far I would probably push the river. If she has a propensity to pay off big bets then she would probably call a $200 bet every time but would call an all in of 600 more than half of the time. If she were to call an all in only half of the time then an all in has an EV for you of +300 over the long run (and this is a conservative estimate because if she pays off big bets and you have her on 2 pair or better she will probably pay off nearly 80% of the time giving you an EV of +480.)

Pf - fold
Flop - good
Turn - lead for 125
River - push

-Steve
Old 02-11-2005, 06:52 AM

I'll pretend you were posting behind the button preflop,
once you make the str8 I would bet about potsized, and push to a raise

the checkraise goes way down in value when you're HU against a passive player (I am gleening my own read here). Lead both streets, reraise All-in if raised, bet a little over half the pot on the river- don't get greedy, if she just calls it down that is.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:05 AM

lead the turn

but you didn't so you should just call and try very hard to make it look like you're bluffing on the river