Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 03:04 PM

Default 2 hands from the WSOPC SuperSat

Since my last thread asking about general tips for supersat play sank like a rock, I figure maybe if I put some actual content in it, I might get some replies.

Here's the situation: it's the WSOP Circuit Event at Caesars Indiana. This is a $200+$25 supersatellite, but it has unlimited rebuys for the first three levels (90 minutes) if you're at or below $200, then a single or double add-on at the 90-minute point. (I, foolishly, did not hear of this until I had sat down — are satellites with rebuys and addons normal? I've never played one before.)

Everyone started with 200 chips, except for people who elected to rebuy even before the cards were in the air. Blinds were at 5/10 for 30 minutes, then 10/20 and 15/30 before the break.

Would the "correct" play for these hands change in a supersat versus a longer tournament? What would be the smart play in either instance?

Hand One: Blinds 5/10
Preflop: <font color="green">marchron</font> is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
2 limpers, <font color="green">marchron completes</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (pot t40) 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="green">marchron bets t25</font>, <font color="#666666">folded to Button</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t50</font>, <font color="green">marchron . . . </font>

The button was somewhat loose-passive in this hand. Do I just call and induce further action, or do I shut it down now and not let him draw to a better hand? In a normal tourney, I think I raise enough to telegraph that I have trips and take down the pot. But how would I play it here?

Hand Two: Blinds 10/20
Preflop: <font color="green">marchron</font> is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#666666">folded to me</font>, <font color="green">marchron raises to t75</font>, <font color="#666666">folded to BB</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (pot t160) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t125</font>, <font color="green">marchron . . . </font>

BB liked to gamboool it up a little, but he rebought as soon as he sat down; this told me he had some supersat experience and knew what he was doing. There's a lot of hands that either crush me right now (bigger ace, two pair) or have solid chances against me (ace + flush draw), and I'm looking at a near-pot-sized bet. This is probably an easy fold in a normal tournament; a 10 kicker doesn't hold up that well. But here, that bet represented less than half of his chips but more than half of mine. Do I go for this one or wait for a better spot?
Old 11-06-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: 2 hands from the WSOPC SuperSat

I like to gamboool in rebuys so i push #1 and #2.
I'm assuming you can rebuy a couple more times. Thats the thing in rebuys sats, you have a significant edge if you can build a large stack in the rebuy period. If you can't rebuy i'd fold #2.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:18 PM

Well, my decision in #1 wasn't press-or-fold, it was press-or-slowplay, in the hopes that I could double up.

I did bring just enough for one rebuy; it was my craps, blackjack, and possibly hotel money. I used it as an add-on.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:10 PM

Am I putting this in the wrong forum, or is there just not much hand evaluation here?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:01 PM

I'd call #1 to induce further action and push #2

#1: I'd hate to see a heart (or a 10) on the turn but I'm going to the felt with this hand.

#2: I haven't played many $200 rebuy sats but in any sat with a fast structure I'm pretty much looking to get all my chips in the middle on and hand I play when I have &lt; 20BB or so. Hitting TPMK is a monster in this situation. I've been shown Ax or a small pocket pair in that situation often enough to make the call profitable.

Oh, and I'd never play a rebuy that I wasn't prepared to put in atleast 4-6 rebuys plus addon. I think part of the appeal of rebuy sats is the large # of people who drop out during the rebuy period.