Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2004, 03:05 PM

Default .5/1 vs. 1/2 vs. 1/2 6-max vs. 2/4 Why should I play each limit?

I haven't slept in over 24 hours and I just took my first final, so instead of going to sleep, I decided to explain to everyone on these forums what each of these games has to offer and why you should take the time to play in each one. Hope this is helpful.

.5/1

If you're playing on Party or a Party skin, this is the lowest limit that you can play. While there are other limits at other sites lower than this, I would recommend jumping right into .5/1 if you have the bankroll to do so. This is the first time you will see something which resembles "real" poker, and despite the large number of poor players, you will be able to hone your skills against a pretty vide variety of opponents.

At this limit, you will find that your winrate is very high, but moving up is often the best plan if you're feeling like you're crushing the game. Though 1/2 is tighter, the increased pot size makes it a much more lucrative game.

In summary, .5/1 is a great game to play while you're learning, and you will get to meddle against different opponent types, but you shouldn't spend so much time there, as your time will be better spent making money at the higher limits.

1/2 Full

1/2 Full is a pretty weak/tight game. This is probably because most of the overaggressive players are playing at the 6-max tables, where aggression is better rewarded. While many people will see the decreasing pot sizes, decreasing VPIP numbers, and decreasing fishies, 1/2 does have a lot to offer in a player's development.

For the first time, position becomes a huge deal. Should I open limp UTG with 44? This was a no-brainer at .5/1, but at 1/2, with fewer players seeing the flop, it becomes important. 1/2 will reinforce a much tighter strategy which will be well utilized later on in a poker player's education.

Also, we see fewer players calling flop and turn bets with absolutely nothing. This is not to say it doesn't happen, it's just rare to find 6 players call pre-flop, and all 6 see the turn. There are a much larger number of players who are folding hands on the flop that would have gotten calls to the turn, if not the river, at .5/1.

1/2 6-max

Ah - 1/2 6-max. This is the first opportunity for players to get a real look at unbridled aggression. After 10k hands at 1/2 Full, 1/2 6-max is an absolute necessity before making the transition to 2/4. Here, the value of position becomes key - and the need to be able to make value raises, even in the face of aggression.

Honestly, I think moving to 2/4 before playing 1/2 6-max is a bad idea, and even a few thousand hands at this game will improve winrates substantially. Short handed play is a big hole for most new players - they try passive strategies that have allowed them to make some money at lower limits - but that strategy isn't going to make them money for long, and 1/2 6-max breaks this habit.

Keep in mind, variance is going to be higher at 6-max tables, so you should probably only play this if you have in excess of $600 in the account - but like I said - the overall gains far offset any negatives that you may take away from it.

2/4

And finally, the holy grail for any micro player. 2/4 is the promised land, the first chance to meddle in the "Small Stakes Forum." The large pots and aggressive nature throw a lot of people off their game, which is totally natural, but with a combination of the skills learned in the two 1/2 games, players should be able to adjust within a few thousand hands.

The strategy that won money at .5/1 is not as viable in 2/4. The players are more aggressive, the decisions are often harder, and a big bet actually contains some real-life value. $50 and $60 pots are commonplace, and every now and then we might even see a pot break $100. While this can be intimidating, if you maintain your aggressive edge, you should, eventually, be beating this game consistently.

As is the case with 1/2 6-max, variance will be high. There will be more, and bigger, losing sessions - but they will be offset but steady play. Once you've made it to 2/4, try staying there, it's the best education you're likely to get.

Hope this helps - I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Alex
Old 12-10-2004, 03:23 PM

Default Re: .5/1 vs. 1/2 vs. 1/2 6-max vs. 2/4 Why should I play each limit?

I'd like to hear more about your 1/2 6max experience.

I'm currently slogging away at 1/2 full, and although I'm very convinced I can beat this game, I'm in the red over 4000 hands. (yes small sample size, but I was convinced for a while I wasn't good enough)

What are some things I should be looking to learn in this game, and for how many hands should I give this a try?
Old 12-10-2004, 03:30 PM

Personally - I think 10k hands at 1/2 Full is enough.

If you have played that many and remain in the red, I would recommend playing some more (sorry to belittle everyone's intelligence, but it's the best advice I can offer). I think that 1/2 is frustrating for a lot of people because they look at .5/1 and see "easy money" and they look at 2/4 and see huge pots, but the fact is, playing against these weak/passive players is important. Getting used to playing in short-handed pots, a skill both 1/2 Full and 1/2 6-max will teach you, is SO important if you want to be successful at any limit above 2/4. The days of seeing 6 to a flop are over, and you need 1/2 to prepare you for 3/6, 5/10, and beyond.

I think 1/2 6-max is important because you're going to see play that resembles this in 2/4 and above. Players are going to begin bluffing, making moves because they think you're weak, and raising with marginal holdings - something you probably haven't faced consistently yet.

I think 1/2 has the potential to offer a better winrate, so it's good for building a bankroll too. Basically, I think the combination that the 1/2 limit offers is perfect preperation for 2/4 - and I think anyone who under-utilizes either aspect is ultimately hurting their game.

If you have any specific questions about 1/2, full or short-handed, continue to post - and if anyone else has any other insights, PLEASE post - I think having one post that will measure the benefits of each limit is a great asset for new micro players.

Alex
Old 12-10-2004, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are some things I should be looking to learn in this game, and for how many hands should I give this a try?

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, this was meant to apply to 6 max [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I intend to play 1/2 full until I've taken 300 BB from it, at which point I'm now interested in playing some 1/2 6 max before hitting 2/4 full - and so wanted to learn a little about it.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:38 PM

Ajax, you're the man. Hope the finals go well.

Now get some sleep!

Pete H.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:12 PM

any recommended reading for 1/2 six max preparation? i've played about 3k hands and feel like im flailing about wildly.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:14 PM

yes, the Heads-up & Short-handed forum!
Old 12-10-2004, 04:15 PM

other than that, thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]~
Old 12-10-2004, 04:43 PM

Ajax-
I never hear people speak to the fact that a $17 pot at .5/1 and a $17 pot at 1/2 are vastly different in terms of investment. I might only have put in $4 to the .5/1 pot to win $13, but at 1/2(Full) I am more likely to put in near half of the pot. I am currently playing at 1/2(Full) and agree with your read on why to play and so forth but I am still haunted by the fact that my investment gets usually about double on a pot as opposed to triple or better at .5/1. Is this important? Often after I win a nice pot at 1/2(Full) I find I actually didn't WIN that much, whereas at .5/1 winning a big pot meant getting 3-4 times what I put into the pot. Anyway, thanks for the info. -MrG
Old 12-10-2004, 05:04 PM

MrG
I have just started playing 1/2 full also and see what you mean. What I have gathered from reading is to put more tactics into play to build the pot. I was so excited last night to flop a set that I 3-bet. As soon as I did all but the raiser folded and called me down. I am not sure yet but I think I should have only called the raise to bring more players with us. I was just thinking I didn't want someone to draw out on me. Anyway, I am begining to see that consistent play and small pots will add up just as fast.