Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 11:10 PM

Default Another Anarcho thread

Just a question really: In any of the several economic theories or schools of thought that are contingent upon there being no state, what is to stop someone from simply forming a state?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Another Anarcho thread

Old 12-02-2005, 12:04 AM

And what if I get together with 1000 of my friends and we all agree to form a state and pool our resources (taxes) to protect each other with guns and a perimeter (military)
Old 12-02-2005, 12:06 AM

Old 12-02-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just a question really: In any of the several economic theories or schools of thought that are contingent upon there being no state, what is to stop someone from simply forming a state?

[/ QUOTE ]

You would be master of your own state i guess. I dont think anyone would participate in your state so youd have to force them, which would bring resitance and war. I doubt your 1000 friends would last very long trying to subjugate many people. Once yall die out thatis the end of your statte.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You would be master of your own state i guess. I dont think anyone would participate in your state so youd have to force them, which would bring resitance and war. I doubt your 1000 friends would last very long trying to subjugate many people. Once yall die out thatis the end of your statte.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who says I would have to be the master of the state or would force anyone else to join my state? Perhaps people wouldn't want to join and the state would die out when my 1000th friend finally died.

But perhaps some people would want to escape the harsh realities of roving bands of violent gangs (which lets say I offer to protect them from for a minor tax). Then the state persists.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And what if I get together with 1000 of my friends and we all agree to form a state and pool our resources (taxes) to protect each other with guns and a perimeter (military)

[/ QUOTE ]
My guess (since I'm not an anarchist) would be that since it's voluntary, there's no problem. Anarchist's beef seems to be with involuntary statism.

I've never gotten a satisfactory answer from the anarchists about how anyone can be assured justice when one party or another is directly paying for it.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My guess (since I'm not an anarchist) would be that since it's voluntary, there's no problem. Anarchist's beef seems to be with involuntary statism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not talking about having a beef with it. I just wonder if there is any sound economic principles that advocate stateless human existence, since without state there is no law, and without law there is nothing to stop someone from forming a state.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:19 AM

Cut me some slack on that ^ . It's my first time using MS Paint and I have a touch pad mouse [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But perhaps some people would want to escape the harsh realities of roving bands of violent gangs (which lets say I offer to protect them from for a minor tax). Then the state persists.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you "offer" the protection, and they pay voluntarily, then it's not a tax, it's a service fee. The state doesn't persist, the security firm does.