Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Low-Carb/Low-Fat/Non-Fat Items (LONG)

[ QUOTE ]
Skim milk is [censored] disgusting. Drink 1% or 2%, it tastes great and won't kill you like whole milk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I disagree that skim is disgusting, I agree that 1% or 2% is just fine.

Ultimately, it's just avoiding whole milk, I think.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:47 PM

i've always wondered, who actually drinks whole milk? my entire life i've drank 2%, and recently switched to 1%.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i disagree completely. changing your diet is a huge lifestyle change. you have to buy different foods at the grocery, cook different foods, eat at different times, not go out to eat...it sounds like you are doing it atkins style, which is a tough transition from a normal diet. when i start to cut down i do atkins for a week and thats about all i can take without any carbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not really Atkins, as I don't really know the particulars of that diet.

I am employing the "common sense/empirical data" diet. It involves common sense (see title), and observing how different foods affect me.

For instance, I would have known that bread and fried foods were awful for me if that Atkins guy had never been born. How, you ask? The desire to crawl under my desk after lunch every day, coupled with the unsightly extra weight I was carrying.

I honestly do not think it's hard to make the "lifestyle adjustment" of observing your own physical condition and acting accordingly.

Not trying to be contentious, just saying it plain.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i've always wondered, who actually drinks whole milk? my entire life i've drank 2%, and recently switched to 1%.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was a kid I drank 2%, now I drink whole milk.

I have always found skim milk disgusting, and 1-2% just seems watered down. I don't drink milk too often these days though.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
portion size is key. buy a bunch of glad ware and split all of the food you cooked into equal size servings. eat one and put the rest in the fridge for later. after you have finished eating one of them wait 15 minutes and evaluate whether you are still hungry or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know how many times I've done this, and then immediately gone back to the fridge for the other half (usually with the deviled eggs). This is not a problem with the dinner sized portions of course, and food that is mostly protein and fat is more filling takes longer to digest than carbs.

Part of the key for me is, I buy no food at all that is ready to eat. I cook a certain amount and I eat it. That's it. If I wanted to eat more, I would have to cook again, and that stops me.

I'm certainly not saying I recommend this for others. I am just used to it. I imagine it would be impossible for someone with a family to shop and eat like this.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ASIAN CUISINES: So just substitute brown rice

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried eating brown rice. It's like eating little clay pellets. Ralphs (the grocery store) has their own brand of brown rice that's not so "clay like." But I assume they bleach some of the fiber out. Theirs has about half the fiber content compared to a brand like Lundberg (per same serving size).

[ QUOTE ]
A turkeyburger or veggieburger can be delicious

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you recommend a food chain that has a veggiburger you like? I tried McDonalds. Took a bite, chewed about three times, then spit it out. Nasty.

Congrats on losing 30 pounds.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've tried eating brown rice. It's like eating little clay pellets. Ralphs (the grocery store) has their own brand of brown rice that's not so "clay like." But I assume they bleach some of the fiber out. Theirs has about half the fiber content compared to a brand like Lundberg (per same serving size).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have always thought of the rice as just a vehicle for the freakin sauce, so I had no difficulty whatsoever switching to brown rice. You could always eat basmati (or saffron) as well, which is also not as bad for you as white, and which tastes better than brown. I know the texture of brown can be a little off-putting, but, as I said, i don't really care about the stuff anyway (except in biryani, which is made with basmati anyway).

[ QUOTE ]
Can you recommend a food chain that has a veggiburger you like? I tried McDonalds. Took a bite, chewed about three times, then spit it out. Nasty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know of none in fast food chains, but almost every real restaurant you go into will have some sort available.

For example, in Tampa, I like to get a steak at J. Alexander's. It's the best $20 ribeye around. Yet, my girlfriend only eats fish and veggieburgers. Alexander's has a KICKASS veggieburger for $6.95. It's incredibly good, and it's made out of actual vegetables, not soy product (tofu or tempeh, which can really taste bad sometimes).

Another example: When I lived in DC, I used to have to walk right past my two favorite places in the world every day--The Fox and Hounds (bar), and Trio Pizza. The bar is a whole other story, but Trio had these steak and cheeses that were like heroin. You couldn't say no to one, under any circumstances.

Well, I decided to use the Trio turkeyburger as my methadone, and I swear to god, those turkeyburgers were so good, I NEVER missed the steak and cheeses.

They're out there--you just gotta find 'em.

Google "Best veggie (or turkey) burger in ______," see what you come up with.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:42 PM

incidentally, best veggie burger in nyc is bubby's, hands down nothing even comes close.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
incidentally, best veggie burger in nyc is bubby's, hands down nothing even comes close.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, now whenever I stumble onto a great veggie or turkey burger, it makes me see that a lot of the appeal of any burger is the bun and the condiments. I love beef, but figure I can easier justify two steaks a week if I am not eating all that ground beef in burgers, right?

And what carnivore will pass up a steak for a hamburger, seriously?

These are the little devices I have used to find a healthier diet for myself.

Whatever works, right?